We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit options SFO - GoldenGatePark(Balboa / 8th Ave.)

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transit options SFO - GoldenGatePark(Balboa / 8th Ave.)

Hello all,

We are looking for public transit options from SFO to our accomodation in SF which is close to Balboa / 8th Ave, I hope we will leave SFO around 5pm-ish.

There are few options to reach our destination using BART and a bus - http://take.ms/5ltrV

- BART to Montgomery St then 38L

- BART to Powell then 31 or 5, 5L

- BART to Dally City then 28

We are 2 adults + a toddler (2yrs old) and we will be after a 12+ hrs flight so please advice which option from above:

- has less stairs (luggage-friendly)

- is less crowded between 5PM-7PM

- is faster and less prone to have delays / traffic jams

My choice would be the 3rd one because it's avoiding the center but maybe I am wrong ? I am also considering getting a cab but I don't know if you can order one with a child/toddler seat.

Thank you,

Vasile

San Francisco to Sausalito Private...
6 Reviews
from US$35.00*
Golden Gate Bay Cruise
364 Reviews
from US$33.00*
San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge to...
278 Reviews
from US$55.00*
Special Offer
Golden Gate Bridge, Sutro Baths...
20 Reviews
from US$46.40*
US$58.00
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,244 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit options SFO - GoldenGatePark(Balboa / 8th Ave.)

What day of the week is this? The 28 can still be very busy. Tough choice. After a long flight like that with luggage and a baby, I might just get a cab/car service. Will let others chime in about the car seat issue.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,390 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit options SFO - GoldenGatePark(Balboa / 8th Ave.)

How much luggage? Buses are not too luggage friendly, so that's a big consideration.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit options SFO - GoldenGatePark(Balboa / 8th Ave.)

Contact Pleasant Limo. I believe it's $57 from SFO to the city. And they will provide a car seat (probably for an extra charge). A taxi will probably be the same but no car seat option.

A direct transfer after 12 hours in flight with a toddler? Priceless.

www.pleasantlimo.com

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
55,877 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit options SFO - GoldenGatePark(Balboa / 8th Ave.)

You are spending a lot to get from Home to SF. After immigration and customs and a long flight -- just get the limo as WD says

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit options SFO - GoldenGatePark(Balboa / 8th Ave.)

I also would not take transit to that location from the airport with both a child and luggage to look after. The buses are generally crowded and slow enough that they're a pain even without luggage. I've done bus trips to bart to the airport with small luggage and wouldn't recommend it, even for sometime who isn't tired and who knows their way around San Francisco already.

Bart with luggage is just fine and there is room and it's not bad. Buses are a completely different thing since they're mostly crowded and with very little room for luggage.

I'd take the limo suggested or a taxi over trying to navigate buses with luggage while watching a child during what looks like a rush time of day.

Have a good trip.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit options SFO - GoldenGatePark(Balboa / 8th Ave.)

You guys are right, spending another 1-2 hours in train/bus after a long flight might be pretty challenging :)

Thanks for the link @WhiteDahlia, I contacted http://www.pleasantlimo.com/ and they charge 15.- USD extra for the car seat, so I think we will go with this option.

But how is it the public transit with regard of toddlers ? We will not have a car in SF and we are relying exclusively on public transportation. Anything special to keep in mind ?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,244 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transit options SFO - GoldenGatePark(Balboa / 8th Ave.)

Once you are in SF, you should be fine on MUNI. If you are not bringing one, buy a collapsible umbrella stroller. She can ride in the stroller in the streets but you can fold it up and carry her on the bus. Folks from Europe are generally more savy with how to travel with kids on public transit than car obsessed Americans.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transit options SFO - GoldenGatePark(Balboa / 8th Ave.)

Your best public transit option is not on your list: Take BART from SFO to Glen Park, and then transfer to the Muni 44 bus line. The 44 drops off at 8th & Cabrillo or 6th & Balboa. This is much closer to your destination than the 28 line, and although crowded, will not be nearly as congested as the 5/5L, 31, and 38/38L buses coming from downtown.

With that in mind, I do agree that it will be easier to rent a limo, assuming your child can be accommodated without an exorbitant charge for a car seat.

In terms of your general navigation, taking Muni with a toddler is not a problem. Just be sure to pack light, as many of the buses can get crowded--even at night and on weekends. Luckily for you, the 31 is not too heavily used, so it should be easier to get a seat. The 38L, on the other hand, is always full. The 5/5L and 38 have no advantage over the 31 or 38L in your case, so you don't need to go out of your way to use them when the 31 stops closer to your destination and the 38L is faster.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transit options SFO - GoldenGatePark(Balboa / 8th Ave.)

Thank you @davdaven - these tips are very handy !

May I ask you the same about 76X route ? How crowded can get ?

Are there any other public transit options to Marin Headlands ?

Mentioned in this post
Marin Headlands
Marin Headlands
1,818 Reviews
Marin County, CA
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transit options SFO - GoldenGatePark(Balboa / 8th Ave.)

The 76X is the only bus serving Marin Headlands, and it runs on weekends only. Getting a seat is not a problem in my experience, but I don't see or ride it nearly often enough to be sure about that. In fact, I have not ridden the route personally since it was converted from the 76 to the 76X in 2012. (Saturday service was added, and routing changes were made at that time.)

If you are just trying to get to the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge, as opposed to all the way out to Marin Headlands, Golden Gate Transit operates several bus routes that may be of interest to you. Routes 2, 10, and 92 cross the bridge and make a stop right after taking the off-ramp for Alexander Avenue. GGT buses are much more expensive than Muni buses, but they run daily and you will not have trouble getting a seat. the 92 may be of particular interest to you, as it stops at Geary Blvd. & 6th Avenue, which is a short walk from where you are staying.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 03:52
Mentioned in this post
Marin Headlands
Marin Headlands
1,818 Reviews
Marin County, CA
Golden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Bridge
41,985 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Park