We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Options in San Francisco

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tour Options in San Francisco

Read about the various tours on Top Questions, but am still unsure about which bus tour would be the best to see the city (possibly a double decker). We are only in the city for 2-1/2 day, but am considering doing a bus tour for an overview of the city, preferably with one that stops at the GGB. Dylan's seems to be popular. I would like an opinion on the best one to use, and any outstanding tour guides. Thanks for your help.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,427 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Options in San Francisco

My top choices to see as much as possible in a city tour would be the following in no particular order.

Dylans because he includes Muir Woods.

Comprehensive Shuttle Tours because they include Ferry to and time in Sausalito and if you do their big tour they include Cable Car ride and a few walking tours in districts and entrance fees.

Best Bay Area Tours because they cover major sights but allow you some input as to a destination you particularly want to see.

If strapped for time a shorter tour with Great Pacific is good.

Alamogordo, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Options in San Francisco

I highly recommend Vantigo. Riding around San Francisco in a lovely VW van was the greatest. I really liked Dylans, but I loved Vantigo. I see that they just won "Best Way to Be a Tourist San Francisco 2014" from SF Weekly: sfweekly.com/bestof/…

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Options in San Francisco

I believe the OP is travelling with her 13 yo son.

Dylan's is not a double decker. It's a guided tour in a small shuttle style van (I forget the max -- but it's under 20). The Dylan's tour that goes to Muir is 5 hours. He has a shorter tour that does not do Muir.

Double decker bus tours are Hop On/Hop Off -- which is a completely different animal. Some have a live person on board providing narrative. Others have a recording. Either way it does not make stops which allow you to get off and get back on THAT bus. You would have to wait for the next HOHO to come along.

I think your first decision is which type of tour best suits you.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,427 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Options in San Francisco

WD,

Dylans shorter tour has disappeared off the website. That is why I recommended Great Pacific for a shorter tour____they do a good job.

WD is right the double decker hop on hop off can waste a lot of time and the city is pretty compact and the other guys in smaller vehicles can get to a whole lot more in a few hours.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,027 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour Options in San Francisco

The OP has asked this question before over the last 2 or 3 months and has received dozens amd dozens of responses.

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour Options in San Francisco

If I understand correctly, the only double decker tours are the HOHO, which may take more time than we have. I would like a 2 or 3 hr tour of the city, and if possible stopping at the GGB. I will check into Great Pacific and Best Bay Area tours. Thank you all for your help!

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour Options in San Francisco

It looks like there are several companies that do the HOHO-correct?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,061 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour Options in San Francisco

Yes, there are several HoHo tours. If you stay on the bus and don't get off, you can do a basic city loop in 2-1/2 hours or so. Check each individual company's routes, as some offer a series of interlocking loops and don't have a single loop that covers the city. Big Bus does have such a tour, and is around $40 per person.

However, if you get on the HoHo bus and never get off, I believe you are forfeiting the advantage of the HoHos, flexibility.

The basic city tour on the "regular" tours is around 3-1/2 hours. Great Pacific offers one on smaller vans.

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour Options in San Francisco

Thanks for the info. I have one day planned to on our own do North Beach, FW, Ghiradelli, Lombard, Alcatrez, Cable Cars. The 2nd day we will spend some time in China town. That is the day that I was thinking of taking the tour bus to see the rest of the city. The two places I would like to stop would be Haight Ashbury and GGB. I think the open air of the double decker is what is drawing me to the HOHO's. Would it make sense to take a HOHOand stay on until we got to the GGB and Haight Ashbury. If we do that would we need the HOHO with interlocking or the single route? Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,027 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour Options in San Francisco

On just one of the other times that you asked this exact same question....there were 17 responses.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k7202322…