We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel Hotel Mayflower of Baldwin

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Allentown, PA
Level Contributor
62 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel Hotel Mayflower of Baldwin

We are planning to visit in september and I have decided on these two hotels. The price is around the same, (Mayflower is cheaper). Please don't tell me to read the reviews, because I really do my research before I plan any vacation and I have read and checked out many sites about both hotels. I'm wondering how easy it is to get around from both since we will not have or want a car in SF. We are planning on taking day tours, so I would like to know which would be better to get public transportation.

People keep saying about the hills near Mayflower, which I wonder might be a problem. We can walk a distance but not many blocks all up hill. Any information would be helpful.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel Hotel Mayflower of Baldwin

Hi,

It is a bit of a slog up to the Mayflower but you have no problems with the Baldwin.

Even without hills I think the Baldwin is a better location for you.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel Hotel Mayflower of Baldwin

I prefer the location of the Baldwin in general -- and not just because of the hills.

I've not been in either but have walked past both and I would give the nod to the Baldwin. I'm sure huntlawoffice will be along shortly. I'm sure he's stayed at the Baldwin .. and will be able to give some first hand knowledge.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,708 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel Hotel Mayflower of Baldwin

I think the Baldwin is in a much better location, at the Chinatown gate and a couple of blocks from Union Square from where you have access to all the kinds of public transportation. I have not stayed in either, but, frankly, I like the "looks" of the Baldwin more than the Mayflower, as well. And 'hills' are not an issue in this location.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel Hotel Mayflower of Baldwin

I've stayed at the Baldwin (more than once) and agree that it's location (in my opinion) is slightly better, but I don't know that I'd go with it solely on location aspects.

I will say that the Mayflower also made the Budget Union Square Hotel list (see the Top Questions).

Personally? I'd consider the Baldwin "safer" (it's kind of the poster child of budget US hotels), but I'd probably go with the Mayflower because I've never stayed there and would like to check it out. Obviously that's a *me* preference for the reason stated.

Bottom Line: I think both are good budget Union Square hotels and wouldn't hesitate to stay at either one. From a location standpoint? Slight edge to the Baldwin, but a rate difference and/or exactly what is going to be seen/done would be factors in deciding between the two.

hlo

5. Re: Which hotel Hotel Mayflower of Baldwin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 06:16