We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Hour Layover

Ocala, Florida, USA
Level Contributor
60 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
7 Hour Layover

We are traveling to Alaska and have a 7 hour layover in San Francisco and wanted to try a day excursion. We are looking at taking the BART to North Beach/Chinatown then walking to the Crissy Field for pictures of the Golden Gate. We are short on time so we realize that we won't be shopping, mainly sight seeing-is this doable? Our main goal is to get a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge-this will probably the closest we will get to it for a very long time :) I wasn't sure if there is another route to get there then what I mentioned above and if there is, we would love to have it!

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Audrey

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,030 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Hour Layover

Did you miss this TOP QUESTION ?

Long Layover at San Francisco Airport. what to do? (updated May 2013)

Please do look at it ----> right side of this forum page

BART does NOT go to the spot you are talking about. BART and MUNI do. Plan on 1 hour each way by BART plus time for security (60 minutes at a minimum at the Terminal ) so you can see how much time you really have.

you can see the GG bridge at Fisherman's wharf. Take BART to Embarcadero and F wharves street Car to the end of the line and viola

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,375 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Hour Layover

belo,

Sorry, I cannot resist this.....<<<Car to the end of the line and viola>>> Are you taking up stringed instruments?

<grin>

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Hour Layover

He meant to say he "ate viola."

audjoc, take the above directions and walk to the top end of Pier 39 and you will get a great pic of the bridge, Alcatraz and the sea lions. Et voila!!! Walk back along Columbus through North Beach, China Town and Union Square and , ate viola, you are back at BART!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Hour Layover

All of this depends on your timing.

What time does your flight arrive? And the next one depart? Believe it or not some people have asked this question when most of their time here will be in the middle of the night.

Is this 7 hours from "ETA" to "ETD?" In which case you'll have a lot less than 7 hours to work with.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Hour Layover

OP says "day excursion."

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Hour Layover

Who knows, she may arrive at 6-7am when little is open. Let's find out.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,030 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Hour Layover

It is that auto correct which does not like VOILA but prefers VIOLA Puter :-)

Happy bay to breakers (have seen enough weird drunk people ) day Hehe

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 Hour Layover

ONLY weird drunk people?

I stopped counting naked guys at about 20. And I had to leave the party early. (After you see a couple, they all look the same :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,030 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 Hour Layover

WD i mentioned in the post about what to wear that I had seen more people in birthday suits today than the number of Birthdays I have had.

https:/…1

By the way what did the Banana say to the watermelon ?

:-)

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 Hour Layover

All couples look the same?

While it would be good to know when OP arrives, with transit into the City after sunrise and on to Pier 39 most things of importance (e.g. places to eat) will be open. The only problem would be if they somehow managed to get all the way back to US before the shops opened. Not likely. But it would still be good to know ETA.