We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long do I need in Tiburon?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
How long do I need in Tiburon?

We were planning on arriving in Tiburon late afternoon, spending the night at Water's EdgeHotel, then spending the whole next day in Tiburon right to sunset!. We were thinking even that wasn't enough time, but an old 2010 post titled "is Tiburon worth visting?" shows you only need an hour?!! Is this correct? I have an itinerary worked out that takes a whole day including a walking tour: Old Rail Trail, Tiburon Railroad and Ferry Museum, Ferry from Tiburon to Angel Island (time on Angel Island), Richardson Bay Audubon Center and Wildlife Sanctuary, Tiburon Historical Trail, Old St Hilary's Churc. The museum itself looks like it may take a while? I welcome your opinions.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long do I need in Tiburon?

Minus the time on Angel Island, the previous thread is correct. The town of Tiburon needs about an hour (maybe less).

But given the other specific activities you're interested in then perhaps a whole day will be OK.

Have you allowed for time in SF?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long do I need in Tiburon?

Have to agree with WD, but do a trip report on your return. You may spawn a whole new need for others to seek out the secrets of Tiburon.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,576 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long do I need in Tiburon?

Tiburon has some cute shops. Excluding Angel Island (whole day trip, esp if you do some hiking), and excluding lunch at one of the several excellent Tiburon restaurants, I'd say 2-3 hrs, plus walking along the water front.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long do I need in Tiburon?

Great, thank you so much for all these comments. We have been to San Francisco almost every year for the past 12 years and haven't been to Tiburon. My itinerary has four pages on Tiburon including walking tour and detailed information on the Museum. We are not hikers, so Angel Island may not take us too long? But it's all time when you do all this stuff. We have four days in San Franicsco, so we might just visit Tiburon on one of those days instead of staying there. The accommodation is expensive, so that made me think it was a must see destination like Sausalito or Carmel. I will report back after our trip in October.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Sausalito
Sausalito
Marin County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,726 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long do I need in Tiburon?

Good idea ____go across for a day but no need to stay overnight.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long do I need in Tiburon?

I had no idea Tiburon had those museums and trails. I thought it was just expensive houses and that little shopping center.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,576 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long do I need in Tiburon?

Accommodations are expensive in Tiburon because it's a wealthy area (the city installed cameras at all road entrances into the city and photographs the license plates of all the cars entering and exiting, and has software to compare all license plates against a police database.).

8. Re: How long do I need in Tiburon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 06:03
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long do I need in Tiburon?

Tiburon can be seen in an hour. Make it 2 or 3 if you want to have dinner and drinks. Angel Island, on the other hand, is very interesting and you can spend a good part of the day there. Even if you don't hike, you can bike or take a Segway tour. The far side of the island has some interesting stuff to see (museum, abandoned buildings, etc.), so you should make it a point to venture away from the ferry landing when you are there.

10. Re: How long do I need in Tiburon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 06:17