We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One full day in San Fran need help please

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
42 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
One full day in San Fran need help please

Everyone has been such a help in the past on all of my vacations; your advice is what I count on; I am now turning to ya'll once again for help. We are flying into San Fran late on a Saturday night; and will have one full day Sunday before we begin our road trip Monday. I thought I had it all planned out that I would use Discover Walks for a walking tour that was not "set in stone" and a canned itinerary. My luck that they are no longer offering their services. I am looking for a walking tour that will not begin early, as we don't want to be rushed and have to get up early Sunday; one tour I found began at 9:00 which is too early. I was hoping for a private tour walking tour as Discover Walks offered but I cannot seem to come up with anything. If this is a dream that isn't possible, maybe you can offer some suggestions on how to do highlights in one day on our own.

Also, I really, really had my heart set on going to Soto Mare Sunday night; we are celebrating a high school graduation. But, they are closed Sundays. My luck again. I wanted something unique, seafood, not touristy and open for dinner. We have a rental car but I don't want to go too far away from the Fisherman's Wharf area, and get lost. I have read a lot on Trip Advisor and Yelp but I cannot seem to find anything that is in agreement is unique, delicious, and not over $30 a plate. I keep going back and forth from restaurant to restaurant and not finding anything similar to Soto Mare. Darn my OCD complex when planning vacations. Your help on these two issues is really appreciated.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,601 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One full day in San Fran need help please

I'm going to concentrate on the restaurant part. Here's a few ideas:

1. Pacific Cafe. As it is far off the beaten tourist path, it is absolutely a local's place. It's located in the (low?) "40s" Avenues on Geary. While it doesn't qualify as close to FW, it's on a major street and directions to/from FW will not be complex. (Plus, you will probably be able to find parking!)

2. Tadich Grill. This is a downtown institution, but that also makes it (somewhat) touristy, but the local flock there too. There's a recent thread where it's discussed (in the context of a solo traveler eating there).

3. If (and only if) you decide you want to stay close to FW (i.e. walk), I'd vote for Scoma's. This (nor anything in the FW area) wouldn't be my first choice, but I thought I'd mention it as an option. It's one of a few places around FW that I think is okay (again, not my first choice for lots of reasons).

4. R&G Lounge. Chinese seafood, perhaps at it's best. Located on the eastern side of Chinatown as it starts to become the Financial District.

That's what I've got right off the top of my head (too bad you're missing Sotto Mare, I finally got around to it my last trip; it is good).

I'll close with one question, does "seafood" include sushi? If so, there's a whole other list of suggestions I (and others) will make.

Hope this helps,

hlo

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One full day in San Fran need help please

Take a look at Urban Trek -- they have a few packaged routes and also offer customized private walking tours: http://www.urbantrekusa.com/

In addition to the restaurants mentioned by hlo I suggest Hayes Street Grill as well. Not necessarily seafood but Capp's Corner in North Beach has a similar atmosphere to Sotto Mare. (Oops, never mind, they're only open for lunch Sunday.) Perhaps Original Joe's on Washington Square.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
15,477 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One full day in San Fran need help please

>>2. Tadich Grill. << closed on Sundays

(A lot of seafood places are closed on Sunday as the fish will not be fresh....)

I think Scoma's will tick most of your boxes (except perhaps the price). It is indeed one of the few restaurants at the Wharf that locals go to, and they have their own fishing fleet and are very upfront about what is fresh, local.

What area do you want to explore with your walking tour? City Guides don't offer custom tours, but they have very good, non-touristy tours of various neighborhoods, time periods or even individual buildings.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
42 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One full day in San Fran need help please

Thank you guys; I had looked at Urban Trek; but their customized treks are not offered on Saturday and Sundays; this is the company that starts at 9:00, and the Sunday tour was not exactly what I wanted; so I am back to square one on that issue. I was really hoping to do some type of walking tour with a guide.

It was funny you mentioned Pacific Café hlo; there was a big discussion somewhere between Pacific Catch, Pacific Grill and Pacific Café, I think on Yelp; I got so confused on which was what and which one was closed I gave up; I will go back and look at Pacific Café. Hays Street Grill had also raised an interest.

Thank you guys! Any other information is welcome!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,601 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One full day in San Fran need help please

Ooooo yes, Hayes Street Grill should have been on my list too.

Like Tadich I wouldn't say it's off the tourist radar, but it's not located in "prime tourist central" (i.e. FW or Union Square), but certainly gets more tourist traffic than Pacific Cafe.

hlo

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One full day in San Fran need help please

If you choose Hayes Street Grill check performance schedules for Opera and Symphony. If there are performances then make reservations no earlier than 7:30 and you'll miss the crowds.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
42 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One full day in San Fran need help please

Okay guys - what is your take on Fog Harbor Fish House? I keep reading and keep coming back to this; but I don't want to go if it is too touristy; being in Fisherman's Wharf.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,665 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One full day in San Fran need help please

Never been there the review on yelp look ok. It is a touristy area but if you are comfortable with menu reviews and prices please do go

Congrats on the high schooler graduation

We have a similar situation and trying to find a place for lunch in the city for a large group has been a challenge I feel for you Dinner on the other hand I think is easier

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
10,006 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One full day in San Fran need help please

i haven't eaten here in a long time and it use to have some "cliche moments" .. but you could walk from FW up Columbus into North Beach (or take 30 Stockton bus). Sicilian fare--and fun. Cafe Sport, 574 Green St.

http://www.caffesportsf.com/

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=seafood+restaurant+north+beach&find_loc=San+Francisco%2C+CA

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
42 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One full day in San Fran need help please

Oh wow - Caffe Sport - this looks really good - it looks too far to walk from where we are staying, around Lombard and Fillmore - I hate to get the car out and drive - maybe the bus would be our best bet - this looks really unique and something I was looking for - thank you!!!!