We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day/night with teens before downtown SF

ohio
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Topic
One day/night with teens before downtown SF

Looking for a town to visit before heading downtown for two days/nights. We are flying in from Ohio, and would love a fun town with restaurants within walking distance after the long flight. We are spending time in Carmel/Monterey later in the week.

Would Palo Alto or San Jose be fun for teens?

Any recommendations greatly appreciated-

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,740 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day/night with teens before downtown SF

I don't understand. Why not just go into SF? It's less than an hour from the airport into downtown SF. Why go all the way to Palo Alto or San Jose? Those take you further away from SF.

"a fun town with restaurants within walking distance" I think that fits SF perfectly.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,651 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day/night with teens before downtown SF

Why not stay in SF for a 3rd night? As much as I like Silicon Valley, I think you should visit SF for the entire 3 nights which is minimum if you have never been here before. Can you find stuff to do in PA and SJ? Sure, but you will be stealing time from SF. Are you flying into San Jose?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,044 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day/night with teens before downtown SF

what do your teens like to do ? Why not start with that and we can suggest things instead of just throwing out places and asking if it is a fun town.

Now in the Top Questions -- > right side of this page there is a question what to do with kids in SF. Some of it may or may not apply but there is plenty of info and our teens and their friends have fun in SF. Which part of the year are they coming

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One day/night with teens before downtown SF

I lived in the City for many, many years, and I had one saying above all others: "You are either in the City, or you're not." If you want to hang out in some "bridge and tunnel" suburb, great. But you might as well stay in Ohio for that extra night because you will be eating in the same chain restaurants and seeing the same movies in the multi-plex. Spend your time in SF, one of the premier vacation destinations in the world.

Happy Trails!!!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,651 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day/night with teens before downtown SF

Now to be fair to us suburbanites in the South Bay, we have lots of non chains and ethnic and even Michelin starred places here....

But I still would recommend going to the city for your entire stay.

ohio
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One day/night with teens before downtown SF

We have been to SF before and I felt that 2 days/nights was enough to see what we needed to. I just thought some of the other towns would be interesting for the teens, especially with Stanford in Palo Alto. Another night in the city gets pretty expensive also, especially with a rental car.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 22:33
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One day/night with teens before downtown SF

A rental car and parking fees are the last things you need in the City. Have you and/or the kids ever seen the movies "American Graffiti" or "Star Wars"? You might enjoy the reasonably priced town of Petaluma where they filmed the first and have a huge museum for the second.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32874-Activitie…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
163 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day/night with teens before downtown SF

Palo Alto would be a good choice. Lots of eating choices, easy walking. Stanford there, to show your kids.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,044 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day/night with teens before downtown SF

Again, you want our help but you don't want to take the time to answer our question. Be as it may.. sure feel free to stay in Palo Alto or San Jose. Plenty of teens live in both cities so that is not an issue.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day/night with teens before downtown SF

Everyone is different but when I was a teenager and if given the choice between SF and Palo Alto ... well, no contest. I already lived in a 'burb. Why would I want to visit another one?