We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday before Alcatraz at night and Chinatown ?

Birmingham, Alabama
9 posts
Save Topic
Saturday before Alcatraz at night and Chinatown ?

Hi all,

I've been reading the forum for the past few weeks and as always want to start off thanking everyone for the work they put into these forums.

I am planning a trip to SF in June. We are staying from Sunday to Sunday at a hotel in Union Square. We have Dylan's booked for the first full day and Alcatraz tickets for Saturday. I haven't nailed down anything beyond that but have read the forum questions and have some general ideas. I thought we could make some decisions after we do the Dylan's tour on what we would like to see more of and what we are good with- but open to suggestions!

My two main questions are- suggestions on things to do Saturday before we board the ferry out to Alcatraz and do you think it is useful to have a tour guide in Chinatown or just wing it with self-guided tours? Also thoughts on the muni pass for the week? I think that is the name of it... The trip is just me and my sister, so two adults.

Thanks!

Dylan's Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours
Streets of San Francisco Bike Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday before Alcatraz at night and Chinatown ?

Is a tour of Chinstown worthwhile? Yes. Emphatically so. City Guides has a free tour of Chinatown and as I recall it's Saturday.

Should you get Muni Passports? Again, yes. Absolutely.

Birmingham, Alabama
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday before Alcatraz at night and Chinatown ?

Thank you!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,221 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saturday before Alcatraz at night and Chinatown ?

did you by any chance read the info in the top questions --> right side of this webpage. Plenty of info on what to do, where to eat, what to see, how to get around town using MUNI . Essential reading for every new visitor to SF -- even if you just read a few things

Pier 39 and Ghiradelli Square part of the Fisherman's wharf area are about 10 minutes from Pier 33 where the Alcatraz ferries leave from. You could go to FW and have breakfast at Buena Vista Cafe and then stroll around and then walk about 30 minutes prior to your ferry to the Alcatraz pier

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,060 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saturday before Alcatraz at night and Chinatown ?

What time are your Alcatraz tickets? That will govern what you can do prior -- with a short time, you could walk along the Embarcadero or explore the Wharf, with more time you could do the Golden Gate Bridge or something else.

There's also a good food-based walking tour of Chinatown called Wok Wiz that might be enjoyable.

5. Re: Saturday before Alcatraz at night and Chinatown ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 05:15