We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for yummy quick lunch headed south-SFO to Big Sur

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
247 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best place for yummy quick lunch headed south-SFO to Big Sur

Any recommendations for a bite to eat (not chain like McDonalds, but something that says "California or San Francisco" and nothing time-consuming or "Hoity Toity", kid-friendly...

Will need to be not too far out of the way North as we will be headed South towards Monterey. This will probably happen right around noon.

Actually, two lunch spots, one arriving and one different one just before departure. Both will be on Saturdays. The only thing is, we will be taking the BART from downtown to SFO to leave out so, thoughts on that second one? Maybe early lunch downtown before heading to SFO?

Thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,804 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for yummy quick lunch headed south-SFO to Big Sur

Sorry where are these meals and what sort of food ? Is one in SF and where is the other meal ? I am confused

Why not state place budget and type of food. With thousand of yummy places that say SF or Ca I don't know what to suggest

Italian Chinese Mexican burgers Japanese pizza seafood. So many options

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,920 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for yummy quick lunch headed south-SFO to Big Sur

Assuming you are driving south from SFO to Monterey, I can suggest one place that says "CALIFORNIA" in bright neon lights. It's definitely kid friendly and easy off the 101 not too far south of SFO. Unfortunately it's a chain. But you don't have them in Texas. It's called In N'Out Burger. The most convenient location is in the city of Millbrae, 11 Rollins Road, exit Millbrae Ave off the 101 south.

For your second meal, since you'll be in SF, the possibilities are endless. Where will you be staying in the city?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for yummy quick lunch headed south-SFO to Big Sur

> Unfortunately it's a chain. But you don't have them in Texas. It's called In N'Out Burger.

While I'd definitely agree with the recommendation for In-n-Out (great value, great food, great service, spotlessly clean) they do now have quite a few locations in Dallas/Fort Worth (and FWIW one in Shreveport). The chain has expanded considerably in recent years.

Edited: 21 May 2014, 07:27
Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
247 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for yummy quick lunch headed south-SFO to Big Sur

<<While I'd definitely agree with the recommendation for In-n-Out (great value, great food, great service, spotlessly clean) they do now have quite a few locations in Dallas/Fort Worth (and FWIW one in Shreveport). The chain has expanded considerably in recent years.>>

You're right, they are up near Dallas. I'm about 4 hours South though, so I don't really get to eat there. Going there is a strong possibility. I had them on my original itinerary, but somebody say "really, there is better than that".

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
247 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for yummy quick lunch headed south-SFO to Big Sur

<<Sorry where are these meals and what sort of food ? Is one in SF and where is the other meal ? I am confused>>

The meals would be near SFO. When we first land, it will be 11am, so I figure we'd have the car and out of the airport by noon-ish. The plan is to head to the coast and towards like Henry Cowell or maybe Big Basin. Going to walk around the park a little then head to Monterey for the night to get ready for the next days activities.

The other meal I was hoping to get advice on is the one just before leaving out to head home (on the way to SFO from Union Square area. Won't have the car still (dropping off downtown when we get settled into the city) so it will need to be between the hotel (looking like the Kensington at this point) and the BART to get us to the airport. We leave at 3:30, so I figure lunch by noon-ish again to have time to eat and get through security, etc. by 2-ish....

Hope that is a little more clear.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,804 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for yummy quick lunch headed south-SFO to Big Sur

So where do you want to eat and what food ?

Can you clarify that please

SFO ? TSS Cantonese dimsum ? HK flower lounge Peninsula Pearl ?

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
247 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for yummy quick lunch headed south-SFO to Big Sur

Preferably not at the airport itself, and as long as it's not something terribly in the wrong direction (hopefully from airport headed towards the Southwest to the redwood parks/hwy 1 area.

Type doesn't matter, we like Mexican, Chinese, Italian, etc. but not too fancy....

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place for yummy quick lunch headed south-SFO to Big Sur

Something that says SF -- which appeals to you?

Hofbrau: …blogspot.com/2006/03/hofbraus-of-san-franci…

Mission Burrito: foodrepublic.com/2011/08/05/brief-history-mi…

Sourdough: epicurean.com/articles/san-francisco-sourdou…

Dungeness Crab and Cioppino: http://www.kitchenproject.com/history/1/ and …7x7.com/eat-drink/its-dungeness-crab-season…

Martini: businessinsider.com/the-history-of-the-marti…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,804 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place for yummy quick lunch headed south-SFO to Big Sur

Dimsum. Eat as little or as much. That is what the peninsula is known for around the airport area

In SF Al has great suggestions. Italian or Mexican or just a quick meal at the ferry building where you can get a burger or fresh oysters or fish or great ice cream or Vietnamese or excellent salumi

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,628 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place for yummy quick lunch headed south-SFO to Big Sur

Dim sum around the airport as I suggested many posts ago. The only caveat is Saturday can be a zoo. Only go if you can get reservations which most of the places below should take according to my mom. I have eaten at all of these multiple times for dim sum and dinner.

Grand Palace in South SF is the best imo but if you're going to Monterey a slight detour north by a few exits I think.

Millbrae on El Camino also has a few we like. Champagne, The Kitchen, Zen Peninsula. There are lots of other places to eat around here too.

HK Flower Lounge used to be THE place 10+ years ago but the above mentioned are much better now.

If you want to drive a little further south before eating, Wolfe on Cupertino also has a cluster of dim sum places just off 280. Dynasty in the Valco Mall (hard to find - next to bottom level of Macy's) is huge, Joy Luck and New Port are smaller but right off the street. I know Dynasty takes reservations for sure. Not sure about the latter. But remember most stop serving by 2p.

If you just want to pick up dim sum to go, I can direct you as well but sounds like you want sit down?

Edited: 21 May 2014, 16:33