We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Fran trip for our 25th wedding anniversary..intinerary

Somerset, NJ
Level Contributor
228 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
San Fran trip for our 25th wedding anniversary..intinerary

My husband and I are coming out Oct 11-18th. Our plan is to spend the first 4 days in San Fran.

Arriving early from Jersey we will take BART to Civic Center and then a cab to Coventry Inn on Lombard Street. I know we will be catching the last two days of Fleet week which will be nice. Then we plan on renting a car on Wed morning and head south taking Rt 1 and enjoy and nice leisurely ride ending up in Monterey and Carmel where we will stay two nights. I would love to spend one day enjoying the ride down, the next exploring Carmel and Monterey..and then leaving Friday and maybe going a little more south before heading back to airport area for an early flight home. How far south should we go...what is down that way? I saw thinking Big Sur but is that on the coast or inland? Just not sure how far south to venture. Thanks...any suggestions appreciated! Can't wait!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Fran trip for our 25th wedding anniversary..intinerary

well take BART to Embarcadero and the cab stand there will be better than Civic Center. Have you looked at other options such as Uber from SFO ?

As far as going south goes. the lovely part of that coast is the drive from Carmel on Hwy 1 south via the Pfeiffer parks and beaches to Big Sur village and to McWay Falls. There is a nice restaurant called Nepenthe in Big Sur village and the falls are about 7 miles south of that. Big Sur is the whole area from Carmel to Cambria (3 hours South) Big Sur village is about one hour south

It is not something you can do before heading to SFO for an early flight . It wil take an hour each way without stops but the best part is to do it with stops. see the photos in the Big Sur forum Top Questions and do this the day before

The Top Questions in this SF forum can help you plan a great visit to SF. Conventry inn is nice.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Fran trip for our 25th wedding anniversary..intinerary

Nepenthe is awesome. View amazing, food good, upscale diner atmosphere (perfect travel visit). I love that outside fire pit and you can almost picture what it was like back in the day. Not that it still isn't "all that" - but man, that must have been a heck of a place in the '70s when California granola/tree-hugging was all the rage.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Fran trip for our 25th wedding anniversary..intinerary

I'm confused. The 18th is Saturday. You leave on Wednesday for 2 nights in Monterey. That brings us to Friday. Where do you plan on staying Friday night?

Big Sur is the coast. Highway 1 through Big Sur is on the cliffs over the ocean. Once you get on the road you have two choices: 1) Going all the way to Cambria where you can cut back to Highway 101 or 2) Going a little ways, turning around and going back the same way.

Somerset, NJ
Level Contributor
228 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Fran trip for our 25th wedding anniversary..intinerary

WhiteDahlia: We were going to use Friday to maybe drive south a bit and then head back up to a hotel by the airport since our flight leaves early Saturday morning. If driving south isn't doable due to time, we might just spend the day driving a different way back North to an airport hotel.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,237 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Fran trip for our 25th wedding anniversary..intinerary

If you have all day Friday, you should be able to visit part of the Big Sur coast, turn around rather than go all the way to Cambria, and be back at SFO for the night before your flight. You should NOT miss Big Sur.

Look at this thread to start and go to the Big Sur forum as well, for questions you may have. The Big Sur coast is spectacular.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g240329-i513-Big_S…

And here are some pictures.

wildnatureimages.com/…20Coast.htm

On your Wednesday leisurely drive down Hwy 1, you might want to stop for coffee, lunch or just a stretch in Santa Cruz. Here is a traveler article to tell you what is here.

wildnatureimages.com/…20Coast.htm

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,056 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Fran trip for our 25th wedding anniversary..intinerary

If you can get to the airport hotel anytime that last night, then you can spend the whole day exploring Big Sur. The last time I was down there, I left the Monterey hotel around 10 am, spent a couple of hours in Point Lobos Park, drove to Nepenthe for lunch, then down to Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park and McWay Falls. I spent an hour or so there, then headed back toward Monterey. I think I hit Monterey again about 5 pm, then it's 2-1/2 hours to SFO via the freeway. You could easily do something similar and be at your SFO hotel by 8 pm.

Somerset, NJ
Level Contributor
228 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Fran trip for our 25th wedding anniversary..intinerary

Thanks everyone. I wasn't sure if it would be too much going south on Friday and then driving all the way back to SF in the same day but we do enjoy driving and we are early risers so, if we took off at 7 and enjoy the sights it will be an adventure...and who knows when we will be back that way so....I think we will do it! Now I was planning staying two nights in the same hotel Wed and Thurs but if I stay in the Monterey area on Wed night....spent Thursday touring that area..then take off after dinner for a hotel more south....will I miss some beautiful sights? or should we just leave early Friday morning?

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Fran trip for our 25th wedding anniversary..intinerary

I think you should stay in Monterey. You can spend one day there (& Carmel, which takes 1.25 hours to see the entirety of). Then you can spend the next day cruising down to Big Sur. Monterey is a perfect place to be based to do this. No sense in extra hotel hopping, IMO.

Also, you should rent a convertible. The drive to Big Sure is pretty gorgeous and you don't need to miss any of it due to pesky car parts. :-)

9. Re: San Fran trip for our 25th wedding anniversary..intinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 05:16