We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten free, but not posh or vegan

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,427 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Gluten free, but not posh or vegan

I have celiac and I need a nice cheap dinner tomorrow night somewhere near Union Square that understands what "gluten free" means. Not some health-food place where everything is made of local reclaimed quinoa, maybe just some basic Thai or burger joint which won't give me a blank stare on the G word. Whatcha got, San Francisco?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten free, but not posh or vegan

You might start by reading some of these links:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=30&geo=60713&scope=2&q=gluten+free&pid=34633&s=D

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,427 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten free, but not posh or vegan

I just looked, but I don't see which of the cited places are inexpensive and specifically near Union Square. While I am capable of trudging through 100 Yelp listings and will probably do so on the plane, I was hoping for a few specific suggestions.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,832 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten free, but not posh or vegan

On Union Square there is a the Macy's store. In the basement there are restaurants and one that recently opened is called Asian Box and they are cheap and delicious and they are like a Asian Chipotle -- the chef was from Slanted door perhaps one of the most famous Vietnamese restaurants in the US. In any case they are not vegan but have a choice of rice noodles, brown rice and choice of meats or veggies. Try them and they will be happy to help. Our son has a different allergy and they've been very good when I've picked up his box.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,832 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten free, but not posh or vegan

Now any of the restaurants around Union Square from Fino to E&O to Puccini to Cafe de la presse will be happy to give you some suggestions for Gluten free options on their menus. Even Pizza joints now offer gluten free crusts

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,427 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten free, but not posh or vegan

Thanks belomiser! Sauteed beef on rice noodles will hit the spot.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,427 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gluten free, but not posh or vegan

In SF now. Starving, angry. Macy's food court was closed. Thai place next door had no idea what gluten free meant. Neither did Japanese place across the street. Now standing in world's slowest Chipotle line posting to TripAdvisor to pass the interminable time. I hate this.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,427 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gluten free, but not posh or vegan

That blank stare. The last thing you want to get when you're hungry is that blank stare.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gluten free, but not posh or vegan

You can eat at any Thai restaurant as Pad Thai is made of mung beans. If you eat at Chinese restaurants chow fun noodles are made of rice. To say nothing of beans/legumes, wild, brown, potatoes, basmati rice, quinoa, barley, etc. Your options are endless.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,832 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gluten free, but not posh or vegan

Oh no my bad. I missed the tomorrow night part of your OP

California
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gluten free, but not posh or vegan

I rarely use the "G" word and if in doubt usually order something like a chicken caesar salad (no croutons). Chipotle is pretty easy, I think everything but tortillas is G-free. And burger without the bun is usually safe (tho not my thing).