We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco Trip

Sacramento...
2 posts
Save Topic
San Francisco Trip

Hi, we live in Sacramento and for our senior trip wanted to head down to San Francisco. But whenever we do go there are tourists everywhere. This is completely fine normally, but for this trip we wanted to be in isolation and seclusion from tourists. We also wanted to just relax and talk and enjoy an amazing view. So my question is, are there places in the Bay Area that offer amazing views of San Francisco and the surrounding mountains while still being relatively (and preferably completely) free of other people?

I understand we're asking for paradise lol, and from some quick google searching it seems no place like this actually exists...

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,639 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco Trip

You mean for a senior picnic or some other activities? How about Crissy Fields with the Golden Gate Bridge as your view?

There are good views of SF from the East Bay Berkeley and Oakland but I can not think of a park or picnic area at the moment. Let folks know what you're looking to do.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,009 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco Trip

SO you are tourists and you want to go to a place where there are no tourists :-) Humm. Well there are so many places north of SF along the coast that may be less crowded on a weekday than on a weekend. Even the Muir beach or Stinson beach would be fine on a weekday if you want to go there.

You can go to one of the mil valley parks and enjoy a great picnic from there.

In SF the Presidio would be a good place to visit on a weekday

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,772 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco Trip

Gotta go with Crissy Field or Golden Gate Park.

Sounds like your previous ventures into the city may have centered around Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square. There is plenty of "there" here - you just have to seek it out.

You might start by helping us understand what you're looking to do at your destination.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco Trip

If you want a view OF San Francisco generally speaking you'll need to be out of SF. Angel Island or Marin Headlands. (I'm assuming you'll be driving.)

Sacramento...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco Trip

Yeah I guess we would have a picnic, but not a big one... It's just 4 people. We just wanted some sort of secluded, high place (like a hill or mountain) where we could reminisce about good times and enjoy a spectacular view of SF handd the surrounding mountains/bay with each other... Like a secluded grassy hill or something above the city.

And yeah, we are tourists, but we just want to get away from the crowds and enjoy time amongst ourselves :)

What about mount Tamalpais? Is it crowded?

As for previous vacations, I've been throughout San Francisco, from the tourist spots to the residential areas, but never really explored the rest of the Bay Area.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,639 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco Trip

I thought you were planning for the whole class. Lots more options for just the 4 of you. To continue my East Bay thinking, one of my favorite views is from Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland. It's not as morbid as you think. Locals run and walk up there. Places to eat on Piedmont including Fenton's for ice cream.

You can also go to the Berkeley hills. Grizzly Peak. Then head back down the hill to eat. It might be fitting to be in a college town?

Lots more options but will let others chime in.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco Trip

Perhaps Bernal Heights Park or John McClaren Park for views. There may be people there, but they probably won't be tourists.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco Trip

There are hundreds of miles of trails around the Marin Headlands and Mt. Tam. Is it crowded? No. Are there views? It depends.

I still say either the Headlands or Angel Island.

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,701 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco Trip

hi: there is a very special place on Mt. Tam called West Point Inn....it's a great old-time 1904 inn with rooms upstairs as well as casual cabins close by. You will have views of the mountain, Marin, i think the east bay hills and some of the city.....it has a large communal kitchen. The only thing is that you won't be alone on the weekends or when they have public events (check their website). But if it's mid-week, you may enjoy this place as well as the many hikes available. There's also Angel Island.

http://westpointinn.com/

www.parks.ca.gov/AngelI...

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,701 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco Trip

i meant to add that the communal kitchen is for guests of the inn....but one is still welcome to sit inside or especially out on the decks...fabulous views. Easy hike in from the Mountain Theater. I think you'll really like it (if it's on an off-day).