We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from San Francisco Int Airport to Sacramento

Limerick, Ireland
2 posts
Save Topic
Travel from San Francisco Int Airport to Sacramento

Hi,

I'm flying into SF International Airport next Wednesday June 4th in the evening and I have to get to Rancho Cordova, Sacramento that evening. What would be the easiest way to get there? I know I could get a shuttle bus for ~$120 but I'm just wondering if there's a simple way I could get there using buses and trains. I don't want to have to get on 4 or 5 different trains or buses if possible. Thanks.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,066 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from San Francisco Int Airport to Sacramento

It would have been easier, I think, for you to have flown into the Sacramento airport, but perhaps it would require too many changes of planes and/or layovers, or is too costly?

What time does your plane land at SFO? That information will help with advice on how to get to Sac'to in time.

Limerick, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from San Francisco Int Airport to Sacramento

I'm flying from London Heathrow and a connection from SF to Sacramento was working out to be too costly. I'm arriving into SF at 5:30pm.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from San Francisco Int Airport to Sacramento

The most obvious ways I know to get to Sacramento from San Francisco are 1) driving, 2) a shuttle (which it sounds like you've looked into already and I don't know much about), 3) Greyhound buses and 4) Amtrak. I don't think the last two will be direct to get you to Rancho Cordova, but I suspect will be cheaper than the $120 you mention. Perhaps they would work if there is someone in Sacramento to pick you up from a more central station (or maybe taking a taxi in Sacramento?).

The grayhound site is at https://www.greyhound.com . The Amtrak site you're interested in is the capital corridor site at http://www.capitolcorridor.org/ . The Bart site (which you'll need to take from the airport) is http://www.bart.gov .

If I had to choose one of the public transit ways to get to Sacramento from SFO, I'd probably take BART to the Richmond station (about 1 hour and 15 minutes and about $10) and then take a capitol corridor train from Richmond station to Sacramento (over 90 minutes and it looks like it's around $27).

I know you don't want lots of transfers, but if you want cheap, then public transit is what will probably be cheap. I'm not sure you can have it both ways and you might have to choose between convenience and price.

Also be aware that depending when in the evening you get in, you may not make the last Capitol Corridor train of the night which appears to be at 10:27 pm.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from San Francisco Int Airport to Sacramento

Just saw your reply. Getting in at 5:30 PM you should have plenty of time to make it to Sacramento by BART and a capitol corridor Amtrak train.

Even by car it could be a couple of hour drive from SFO to Sacramento, especially if you hit traffic. You are commuting between two different metro areas that are about 100 miles apart. :-)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from San Francisco Int Airport to Sacramento

research this option. if you can get to the caltrain station in SF and take the megabus to Sac.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from San Francisco Int Airport to Sacramento

Once you actually arrive in Rancho Cordova, how are you going to get around? This is a very suburban town, spread out, and nothing close together--not anything like Limerick. Renting a car would be my choice.

It will also be quite hot most days in May through October. Like 90 to 100 degrees F. every day.

Where are planning to visit?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,613 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from San Francisco Int Airport to Sacramento

Indeed, you are going between 2 major cities that are 90+ miles apart, plus the end to end connection. Transfers are unavoidable unless you go with taxi or shuttle.

From my research, you have a few options:

SFO: take Samtrans bus from airport to downtown SF (a few dollars), walk quite a few blocks, take Megabus (said USD $9), to Sacramento 65th Street, take Sacramento RT (light rail) to Rancho Cordova, $2.50.

SFO: take BART to Powell Station (fare $8.65), walk about 6 blocks, take Megabus (said USD $9), to Sacramento 65th Street, take Sacramento RT (light rail) to Rancho Cordova, $2.50.

SFO: take BART to Richmond Station (fare $9.85), connect to Amtrak (Capitol Corridor) to Sacramento (fare $27.00), take Sacramento RT (light rail) to Rancho Cordova, $2.50. This method is less-walking-involved but costs more.

Let me know (if) which route you want more information on (e.g. bus #, links, etc.).

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,766 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from San Francisco Int Airport to Sacramento

Shuttle is your only sensible option. Every other option requires at least 3-4 maybe 5 or more changes in train, bus, etc in order to get to Rancho Cordova.

Or, you can rent a car and drive there.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 01:16
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,430 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from San Francisco Int Airport to Sacramento

If you are going to need a car in RC anyway, I'd just rent one and drive.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from San Francisco Int Airport to Sacramento

There is a United Airlines flight from SFO to SMF departing at 813pm arriving at 901pm, at this time the OW fare is $164.00. You can book it directly on the UA website. You could then take a taxi, there is public transit but a taxi would be better into downtown Sacramento and take the light rail out to RC. If you are thinking of a shuttle bus to Sacramento for $120.00 the few extra dollars you spend for the flight are well worth it.