We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Limo route after City Hall Marriage ceremony

Hofheim Germany
Level Contributor
132 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic Limo route after City Hall Marriage ceremony

Hello,

We are due to get married at City Hall on Aug 8th and afterwards I have a Limo rented with a driver for 4 hours. I found a thread on here suggesting, Ocean rd up through Presidio to Marin Headlands. Sound great except the Outside lands festival starts that day so a quiet stroll through Golden Gate Park is out:(. Since it will be around Noon Maybe out to Marin Headlands is OK, just on the way back over the GGB ????? I would like some nice views of the city but 4 hours in traffic does´t sound all that romantic. Can anyone suggest a route with nice views and Photo ops. Perhaps a backup solution if GGB is fogged in. Any idea if Ocean road would be clearer say as far down as Sloat Blvd. I really did want to go up to Presidio though.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Limo route after City Hall Marriage ceremony

Four hours in a limo immediately after the wedding.... and you want to look OUT the window??

Ask the limo driver to take you to scenic spots....he'll know where to go.

Congrats.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,804 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Limo route after City Hall Marriage ceremony

Agree with dr z. Ask the limo driver

Twin peaks , the Embarcadero marina presidio and Marin headlands to Sausalito and tiburon Avoid great highway and any of the area around GG park. You could if you want go down sloat to great highway and south to fort Funston

There are certain areas where a stretchable have issues but the driver may know

Hofheim Germany
Level Contributor
132 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Limo route after City Hall Marriage ceremony

Thank you for the constructive suggestions. The Limo company actually recommended Fisherman´s wharf & AT&T park! Not quite what I had in mind.

If it´s not foggy, Marin Headlands is more of a stop and get out for the view, and I thought maybe some appetizers at Waterbar afterwards. Again I´m just concerned that traffic will be stop & go coming back over the bridge into the city say around 1pm. The festival starts at 11am. Funston looks like an alternative but if the fog is covering GGB is it usually also along the coast? It´s not a stretch limo so that should not be a problem.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Limo route after City Hall Marriage ceremony

They recommended AT&T and FW ?? Ugghhhh.....

Belo's idea (Post #2) looks good. I have no idea what that festival is all about so I can't say if you should stay out of that arrea or not. The locals can really help with that.

Don't worry about the fog....that's the most romantic part of the area!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,804 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic Limo route after City Hall Marriage ceremony

well no one can predict two months from now and the city has micro climates and hard to know if there will be fog and where. Generally the chances of fog at 1pm on the GG bridge are less than say at Fort Funston but hard to predict. Now while i do get the fact that people want to see things and the view of SF is spectacular, don't run away from the fog, embrace it -- yes too much of anything is bad but the fog is rather romantic as it rolls in so I agree with Dr Z. There is a video of the fog rolling in. First TOP QUESTION on the right side or via the second post of the sf forum

I would not expect stop and go traffic at 1pm on a weekend on the GG bridge. yes there will be cars but not that bad.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 19:44
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,628 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic Limo route after City Hall Marriage ceremony

Here is the fog video: http://vimeo.com/69445362

The traffic shouldn't be too bad if you are not actually in GGPark. But you are talking about 8/8 Friday afternoon right? Another scenic place to go is Treasure Island looking back at the city. May be windy there too.

Congrats! 8/8 is a very auspicious date for a wedding in the Chinese culture. I might know someone with that wedding date. ; )

Hofheim Germany
Level Contributor
132 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic Limo route after City Hall Marriage ceremony

Thank you all for your input. I hope the EPIC traffic jam on the bridge does´t materialize mid-day. Fog or no Fog the scenic lookouts at Marin Headlands could work. I will have to check the Chinese calendar, I´m curious now. My German calendar says it´s a good day for a beer.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,070 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic Limo route after City Hall Marriage ceremony

I have friends who live near 9th Avenue and they seriously are thinking about vacating for the weekend of Outside Lands. Traffic is a mess on any of the streets in or near the park (although it is just kicking off on Friday, so not as bad as Saturday or Sunday). Oh, and the park and the bridge are nowhere near each other, so the festival shouldn't affect the bridge itself. And the limo company suggested the Wharf and AT&T Park when you said you wanted somewhere romantic!!??? I'd consider another limo company, or at least another discussion with them as to the whole point of the drive.

You should be able to get to the Great Highway without traffic by heading just a bit south of the park, so look at a route to Twin Peaks, use Sloat Blvd. to get to the Great Highway, north on there to the Presidio, across the Bridge to the Headlands, through Sausalito. Then back across the Bridge, along the waterfront (more of the Presidio, maybe Fort Point), via Crissy Field to the Embarcadero, then across the Bay Bridge to Treasure Island. Then back to your hotel. That should be about 3 hours, especially if you stop for photos.

Hofheim Germany
Level Contributor
132 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic Limo route after City Hall Marriage ceremony

Excellent thank you! I was hoping to scoot by the parks west end early enough to avoid bumper to bumper stuff. With this detail I will have another discussion with Limo company to guide this in the direction I intended. Not easy for them I know everyone has a different idea as to Romantic I guess.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scenic Limo route after City Hall Marriage ceremony

8/8 is the first day. so not as impacted as the weekend. it will not affect your commute over the GGB. normal traffic will about 2 pm. but you just want to go over and back.

i feel that you can get to ocean beach ok. you may want to try via fulton or geary streets. you could even try one of the parallel streets to lincoln-if there is traffic-, starting at kirkham southwards. friday won't be as bad on the weekend of the festival. <<avoid bumper to bumper stuff>> it won't be like that b/c there is not many places to park and people will walk or take public transit to get to the park.

great highway - (from lincoln southbound) sometimes it's closed due to too much sand on the road. and closed when they have to do sand removal. i don't know what this means <<Any idea if Ocean road would be clearer say as far down as Sloat Blvd>>. there isn't and won't be traffic. we don't have an ocean road. there is a road that runs next to the ocean = great highway.

go to the ocean and then make your way up north, 34th ave. lincoln, el camino del mar, lincoln blvd, around into the presidio then go through the GGB parking lot then over the GGB. you won't be sitting in traffic for hours. i don't know what the 'EPIC traffic jam' is. it's a bridge, and that's the way out of the city. for viewing you just get on and on the exits/entrances right at the end of the bridge. ENJOY your limo ride, with 4 hours you will see a lot and get around. CONGRATULATIONS!!

Edited: 04 June 2014, 08:22