We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Fran then Road Trip

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
San Fran then Road Trip

Hi Guys,

I am visiting the city at the end of the month. I arrive from London on Saturday evening and plan to pick up a hire car on Tuesday morning.

I have booked a tour of Alcatraz on Monday, but have no other plans, I'm travelling alone and am pretty flexible on what I do and where I go, any suggestions?

I have planned a bit of a road trip that puts me back in San Fran the following Saturday before flying up to Seattle for business,

The route is basically up the i1 through Fort Bragg to Eurake CA, stay overnight in Eureka and then set off to Klamath falls on Wednesday morming. I have 2 days in Klamath as I want to visit Crater Lake while i'm there. I then plan to drive to Sacramento for 4th July and spend the night at Raley Field for the celebrations and then drive to San Fran airport for my flight.

I have chosen to fly instead of carrying on up through Oregon to Washington state asthe drop off fee for my hire car was 4x the cost of flying (and it allows me to see different places).

I know time is gonna be tight and I won't have a lot of time in each place but is this realistic? Am I trying to do too much? I am taking I1 to Eureka so I can drive along the Pacific Highway, again, is this realistic?

Any advice is welcome

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,434 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Fran then Road Trip

Post in the California forum please. This is the SF forum for info and discussion about SF

Highway 1 is the coastal route which is what you mean with l1

Drop fee for most rentals are zero for visitors. Are you sure you used a local UK website and or www.rentalcars.com

Taking Highway 1 takes a lot of time and is to be enjoyed and not rushed SF -- Mendocino and then Garberville to see the state and National Parks before going up to Eureka.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Fran then Road Trip

I used Rentalcars.com the quote was approx £400 because I wanted to hire a convertible, I really did do some digging before I booked.

The car ended up costing £160 and then $99 for a flight so I saved around £120

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,107 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Fran then Road Trip

And by "a lot of time", we mean the drive on Hwy. 1 from SF to Eureka takes 7 hours, WITHOUT stops! You can cut off a little bit of time (30 minutes) by going inland (north on Hwy. 101) until about Rohnert Park, then heading to the coast. But I like that portion of Hwy. 1, although the scenery is more bucolic than spectacular.

4. Re: San Fran then Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 05:17