We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a place to stay

Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a place to stay

We are traveling to San Francisco in September 18-22. My husband is attending a conference at the convention center near 3rd and. 4th and Mission? I really rather not stay at a big pricey mega hotel near there. Where is a good area to stay close to public transportation that will easily get him to convention and an area that will be conducive for my own explorations while he is away. I would like to stay within the city and open to vacation rentals etc... Your advice is appreciated.

Shawna

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,296 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a place to stay

What is your budget in USD $ ?

Union Square is a short walk north of the convention center and is full of a wide range of hotel options.

Union Square also has great transit connections, shopping, restaurants and is central to much of the tourist sites that visitors want to see.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 15:46
Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,857 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a place to stay

I agree that Union Square would be very convenient for both of you. There are all types of hotels in the Union Square area, including many small boutique ones.

If you are interested in a vacation rental away from downtown but still in SF then the Castro/Duboce Park area would probably be the most convenient but would require hub to use public transit at its peak period. If this is still an option be sure to read the Top Question (right side of screen, non mobile version of TA) on Vacation Rentals. There are some things to be aware of.

Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,857 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
The Castro
The Castro
834 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a place to stay

Also take a look at the top questions (right side or top 10 questions towards the top thread in the forum).

Hotels: Where to Stay When Visiting San Francisco (December 2013)

Budget Hotels, Hostels, and Hotels with Parking, (Updated May 2014)

Vacation Rentals Locations AND IMPORTANT ADVISORY about RENTALS (May 2014)

These questions might give you some ideas. I would probably look at union square or the embarcadero area hotels first since both areas are in walkable distance to Moscone Center for him (union square is maybe slightly closer).

However, you can get all over town on transit, so if you decided to stay even further away from the convention center than these areas your husband would be able to get there in some amount of time on pubic transit (that time could range from 5 or 10 minutes to about an hour depending where).

I'd probably just stay in U.S. or embarcadero in a hotel and those areas are also very convenient to transit for you to get most places in the city. Many parts are walkable from there such as Chinatown or north beach.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Moscone Center
Moscone Center
174 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a place to stay

Thank you so much for the advice!

5. Re: Looking for a place to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 06:16