We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to Marina District and hotel related question

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation to Marina District and hotel related question

We are arriving in San Francisco a day ahead of a scheduled tour. We booked the Seaside Hotel on Lombard Street for the one night prior to the tour (Our tour Hotel is the Hilton in Fisherman's Wharf, but was too pricey to add another night).

What is the best way to travel from the airport to the hotel? Taxi? Shuttle? What is cost for transportation?

Also, I have tried to call this hotel this afternoon (we actually booked it through booking.com) and cannot get through (they keep asking for a remote access code). I can find no website for the hotel other than through a second party site and when I phoned booking.com, they also could not get through via phone. This is making me a bit nervous.

Anyone know of any problems with this hotel? Should I cancel (it is not prepaid) and try to book someplace else? We leave in 6 days.

Thanks,

Joanne

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,005 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to Marina District and hotel related question

First, the "best" way to get from the airport to your hotel will depend on a few things. What time of day/day of week do you arrive, how many in your party, how well can you manage your luggage, do you favor convenience/speed or saving money? The answers to these will all have an impact over what is "best."

You might want to look at the Top Questions (right hand side of forum screen, non-mobile version or via the 2nd sticky if on a mobile device). There is one that covers SFO to SF transit options. Briefly your options are: BART/taxi hybrid (which will likely be the "best"), straight taxi, airport shuttle (probably the "worst"), and (unlikely) BART/MUNI.

As for the hotel, I don't know anything about it. What do the TA reviews/rating say? Also, where did you get phone number? Does it match the one here on TA (if TA shows one), does TA have a link to the hotel's website?

hlo

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,312 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation to Marina District and hotel related question

As a DE, you may have the same Dilemma I have when someone asks about BEST ? Is best cheapest or most luxurious or direct . Well options are door to door cab or a limo such as pleasant limo or execucar. Both will be in the 60 range or a shuttle which may go all over the city and you will be packed with many other folks for 16

Or Bart to Embarcadero for 9 per person and a cab from there for about $20

Strange that no one picks up but the hotel reviews seem to be good. Well try cow hollow or Coventry if you like

Edited: 10 June 2014, 19:21
Mentioned in this post
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
829 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,312 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation to Marina District and hotel related question

I tried to help a fellow DE and called the hotel. (415) 921-1842. And got the same code response. So short of walking there not sure how to help. I may be on Lombard tomorrow but not today

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d3332070… Here are the reviews HLO

Edited: 10 June 2014, 19:25
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation to Marina District and hotel related question

I just dialed the number and got voicemail that said to press "0" to talk with reservations. Did you get that far?

You might also try submitting a form message on their site: http://www.sfseasideinn.com/contact/

Or have I confused hotels?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,312 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation to Marina District and hotel related question

It is after you press 0 that it still rings and then you get that message.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation to Marina District and hotel related question

You can take BART train from the airport into the City and then transfer from the BART train onto a MUNI train in order to get as near to your destination as possible before catching a cab, which should reduce transportation fees.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation to Marina District and hotel related question

That motel is rather basic but has been redone fairly recently. It still would not be my first choice on Lombard. Cow Hollow, Chelsea and Coventry are nicer. And very likely not much different in price.

If you take BART then use Embarcadero station and get a cab from there. Fare will be about $15-20.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 04:04
Mentioned in this post
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
829 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation to Marina District and hotel related question

Thank you all for your responses and your helpful information. Much appreciated.

We are really looking forward to our trip.

Joanne

9. Re: Transportation to Marina District and hotel related question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 06:15