We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Stopover Need Ideas

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Humboldt...
Level Contributor
61 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Anniversary Stopover Need Ideas

Hi! My husband and I are flying out of SFO early next month to visit our families for a week, however we live more than 4 hours out of the area so are considering staying at one of the park n sleep hotels (with our reward points it's cheaper than just parking at SFO). We will be getting back into San Fran the day before our 1 year anniversary, staying at the hotel that night, then checking out and driving the 4+ hrs back home. I'd like to do something in the city for our anniversary but can't think of what since we won't be there for dinner (we would need to leave the city by 3pm probably).

We are both big foodies and love wine if that helps... Since it's at the end of a trip we probably don't want to spend a fortune on anything. We've done the bay cruise, fishermans wharf, chinatown, & haight-ashbury... I've been wanting to check out the Sutro baths but the restaurant there seems really pricey, even for lunch/brunch; also been wanting to see the Palace of Fine Arts, but that's not really something that would interest him too much.

Oh, and we are driving North of the city on the 101 so we'd like to do something in that area, not anything south of the airport....

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary Stopover Need Ideas

http://www.angelisland.com/ Take ferry from Tiburon to Angel Island!

Have you explored Angel Island? Its history is fascinating! You can walk the perimeter taking in all the City views plus check out the garrisons, museum, Nike missile area plus more!

Enjoy a refreshment and post Island appetizers at Sam's Anchor Cafe. Also enjoy some oysters at the Cantina on the Island.

Buy some wine, bread, artisan cheeses with fig jam and honeyed walnuts in Tiburon, then head down to Perles beach and sit on the rock ledge right next to the water. Bring some beach towels. A nice way to toast your First Anniversary! One for the memory banks!

Enjoy!

Edited: 12 June 2014, 01:19
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary Stopover Need Ideas

Angel Island on the way from the airport to home which Is what I think the OP is asking. !!!

If you want to do Landsend and the Sutro baths then do have a look at Park Chalet and Beach chalet two restaurants in the same building close to the baths. If you also want to look for an early dinner in that area look at Chapeau which is a great french place not too far. Outerlands is another restaurant that has excellent food at dinner in the same vicinity.

Or if you want to hang out in the Presidio there is a new restaurant called The Commissary . Not been there yet so you may need to check reviews and prices

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary Stopover Need Ideas

Yes, I think angel island is a bit much for a short activity between San Francisco and a 4 hour drive home. And I'm someone who loves angel island, but every time I've gone there we spent a lot of time seeing things and enjoying ourselves and were in the sun most of the day and wouldn't have wanted to do a four hour drive afterwards. It's very fun, but not light, quick activity before a long drive home, IMO.

The Palace of Fine Arts is in the marina and along the way to the bridge and there are also restaurants along chestnut or union streets. It may be also a possibility to browse our do lunch in that area, also. I'm sure white dahlia has recs for lunch on that area.

The sutro baths are also fun. Have a great day on San Francisco.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary Stopover Need Ideas

I second Chapeau on Clement. They take reservation at Open Table. They usually have an early bird special prixe fixed menu. http://www.chapeausf.com/

Another romantic and small place on Clement closer to the beach is Mescolanza

http://www.mescolanza.net/

Edited: 12 June 2014, 03:12
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary Stopover Need Ideas

Shoot.... just noticed you wanted something earlier like lunch and brunch. Those two spots I mentioned are only evenings. Depending on what you decide to do, many other neighborhood spots to recommend but the Marina/Cow Hollow area would be a start.

I also like the picnic idea.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary Stopover Need Ideas

<We will be getting back into San Fran the day before our 1 year anniversary, staying at the hotel that night, then checking out and driving the 4+ hrs back home. I'd like to do something in the city for our anniversary >>

Where will you be staying? And what time will you be getting back? If it's a decent time I would suggest staying in the city and having a nice meal that night. Even if it's late, I'd still suggest staying in the city.

But if you are looking for a daytime celebration it would help to know your definition of "something" for your anniversary. Perhaps a picnic at Crissy Field before heading north across the GG Bridge.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 04:06
Humboldt...
Level Contributor
61 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary Stopover Need Ideas

Thanks for all the recommendations! We have been wanting to check out the Presidio but everytime we've been driving through the city they have had construction & it just looked like a nightmare- are they all finished up now? That would be great if so & right on our way!

Angel Island sounds fun, and also something we would like to do, but after a 4+ hr flight, and another 4+ hrs left to drive I don't think we'll have it in us...

Is the Marina similar to fishermans wharf? We usually stop there for lunch on our way out and always enjoy it- the crowds not so much though =)

I am not sure where we are staying yet, more than likely very near the airport as that is where all the park-n-sleep hotels are. Depending on our flights, we will probably be arriving at the airport the day before our anniversary, a saturday, staying the night at the airport hotel, then getting up & heading out the next day. We just can't stay in the city as the only reason we are even getting a hotel is because the park-n-sleep hotels are cheaper than airport parking when I use my reward points.... Usually we just suck it up & drive right through... My definition of "something" is anything new to us, somewhat low-key, not too expensive, in between the airport & marin, and not more than 2-3 hours.. We're not difficult- our main pleasures in life are sipping wine/beer with good food and lazing around the river/beach...

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary Stopover Need Ideas

+1 for staying in San Francisco that night. Points/no points, it will be much more anniversary-worthy.

Dinner: Ferry Building. Tons of foodie-approved choices. BYOB, cobble together an assortment of tasty morsels, sit outside and admire the Bay Bridge light show. The head to Harry Denton's Starlight Lounge for a night-cap.. Special-ish ambiance, great city views, and not that pricey if you don't drink too much :-)

Next day, shy not head to the Mission? You haven't been there yet. Take a lunchtime food tour (look on Goldstar.com for discounts). There's a lot of them.

Happy Anniversayr! :-)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anniversary Stopover Need Ideas

Is the Marina similar to fishermans wharf?

Oh No. could not be more different. No tacky overpriced shops in the Marina for tourists. Well let me restate -- nicer shops with SF prices but not the camera and t-shirts stores you see near Pier 39

The Marina has Chestnut street with great restaurants and then the water front from Fort Mason along the Marina all the way to Crissy field. A great spot for a picnic as long as you have layers in case it is windy and cold

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anniversary Stopover Need Ideas

Weekend will be more crowded so not sure if you can avoid the them.

Unfortunately there is still a lot of constructions right around Doyle Drive on the GG Bridge approach and around the Presidio though it is not insurmountable. One thing to note is if you are going to the Marina/Chestnut from the airport and taking 280 south to 19th Ave to Park Presidio - the exit for Lombard St past the tunnel is NOT available. You have to go to the last SF Exit and turn around near the toll or turn off around Geary to go over the hill. If you are going this way and this doesn't make sense, let us know and others can give you better directions.

And NO, Marina/Cow Hollow are not like FW at all .

Another thought, how about Sausalito? Have you eaten at Poggio?