We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best Gen Tso in San Fran?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Where is the best Gen Tso in San Fran?

Will be staying near the Warf.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,099 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best Gen Tso in San Fran?

Our resident experts in Chinese cuisine are best equipped to answer that question and I have to now do research to find a place as this is one of those questions we have not listed in our FAQs/ Thank God

Yelp would be a good resource and here is a link to yelp and general tso

http://bit.ly/1udHEb4

Let the recos begin and the arguments about which place serves the best General Tso's chicken

By the way is that the same as Orange chicken or Hunan chicken or the stuff they serve by the gallons at Panda Express.

By the way I presume you mean Fisherman's wharf and San FranCISCO ?

Edited: 13 June 2014, 02:26
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,667 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best Gen Tso in San Fran?

I have no better insight I am afraid. I do not seek it out when we eat at Chinese restaurants but we do order it. It is a Chinese AMERICAN dish. Yes we also eat Orange Chicken at Panda Express and *gasp* buy the frozen orange chicken from Trader Joe's. But I am not sure General Tso has orange though... OP - are you looking for sweet and mild or with a kick?

Yelp and Chowhound is where I would go.

Waiting for TSS and others to chime in.

Edited: 13 June 2014, 02:42
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,787 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best Gen Tso in San Fran?

Kind of like a chicken fried steak. While it's popular in the US, there is an actual China origin of the dish. There is a real General Tso who allegedly liked his chicken done this way. As to who serves the best one, my question is, what makes a good General's chicken anyway?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,674 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best Gen Tso in San Fran?

Interesting....

I thought it was a completely US invention....didn't know it had it's roots in a traditional (schezuan?) dish.

Thanks TSS!

To the OP...there are so many excellent Asian restaurants in San Francisco serving authentic fare (Inner and Outer Richmond have lots) If you go to eat General Tso's Chicken you are cheating yourself.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best Gen Tso in San Fran?

Fortune cookie chronicles is a great book and devotes a chapter to the fictional Gen Tso. npr.org/2013/11/15/244591352/where-does-gene…

It really is not very popular here in SF.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,744 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the best Gen Tso in San Fran?

The legend of origin of General Tso's Chicken is a bit controversial. There does not seem to be a definite conclusion. For me, I have not heard of this dish in Hong Kong when I grew up, until I came to the USA in the late 70's.

There is a little bit of Chinese origin, which is using dried tangerine peels ("Chan Pay" in Cantonese) to cook this dish, not orange. Maybe considered in the "orange family"... and people figured... oh, orange peel, good enough. I really have seen fresh orange rind slices on these dishes somewhere. And extra sweet, sweet, sweet... Someone's fragment of imagination. I consider this in the same class as "egg foo young", "chop suey", "moo goo gai pan" and other similar real, "authentic" Chinese cooking... LOL

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the best Gen Tso in San Fran?

Yeah...General Tso's is probably not a dish most locals eat very often. There are a couple of really great Sichuan restaurants in SF, but I doubt you'd see this dish on the menu. Hunan Homes in Chinatown is known for their more Chinese American menu with many sweeter dishes, so maybe that'd be a good place to try.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,099 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the best Gen Tso in San Fran?

So Happyfeet

I see Orange Peel Chicken on many menus in Hunan style restaurants -- with their thick syrup, red peppers and Orange peel. Is that the same as Gen Tso ?

There was a phase (over long long time ago) when our boys wanted Orange peel chicken from a place on Irving.. which I don't thing is there anymore -- that phase is over.

But the korean chinese San Tung Chicken wings have that same flavor but no Orange peel . Perhaps the Op can try them - the dry ones are less sticky sweet.

Ok Ok. Who's going to find the best GT in SF. Need a full trip report....

Talking about Foreign Food -- I was in Bangalore India and the Chinese restaurant there had American Chop Suey. American CS ? What part of the US serves American Chop Suey ? !!

Edited: 13 June 2014, 17:03
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is the best Gen Tso in San Fran?

OP may consider Brandy Ho's either in North Beach or the Castro. They call it "General Chicken". http://www.brandyhos.com/

Though, if you like the idea of General Tso, you'll likely really enjoy the "Country Chicken" at Osha Thai. http://www.oshathai.com/

Tip: You can get Osha Thai to-go very cheaply at their Osha Express food court location inside on One Market.(enter on Steuart Street) Visitors overlook this food court, but it has lots to offer.

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is the best Gen Tso in San Fran?

Thank you everyone for your input.