We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Itinerary Comments???

Baton Rouge...
2 posts
Save Topic
Trip Itinerary Comments???

I (60 year old; 4th time in SF) will be traveling with my daughter (20 year old, first time to SF) to SF on Wednesday, June 18. After 4 days in SF, we will rent a car (Sunday June 22) and drive to Carmel Valley (Carmel Valley Ranch) for a work conference. I’ve read posts and trip reports and have come up with the following itinerary. Your comments are appreciated: Too much, too little to do each day? Any feedback on particular bus routes appreciated. Not able to do long walks, will take public transportation using Muni pass. I have google maps and Muni apps. Suggestions in the particular areas for lunch/dinner (like pizza, sushi, seafood, burgers, etc.; lunch: $40-60 w/o drinks; dinner: $60-80 w/o drinks). Due to circumstances was not able to post before today, but will check my phone app for replies/comments.

WEDNESDAY June 18

10:30am Arrive SFO

Purchase MUNI 3 or 7 (??) day pass at Information Booth

Collect Baggage

BART to Embarcadero Station

Taxi to hotel -- Hilton Financial Center—750 Kearny Street

Arrive Hilton hotel & check in or store bags

Chinatown & North Beach

Late lunch (Molinaro’s Deli)

Liguria Bakery (if open)

Dinner – Hog Island Oyster (oysters or mussels) or R & G Lounge (crab)

THURSDAY June 19

Ferry Building – Farmer’s Market – Morning Coffee

Cable Car—California Line

Ghirardelli Square (daughter wants Sundae)

Marina/Musee Mechanique

Fisherman’s Wharf

@5:00 pm Alcatraz Night Tour (Pier 33)

Late Dinner – Kells Irish Pub – 530 Jackson St.

FRIDAY June 20

Brenda’s French Soul Food (Breakfast or Early Lunch) (Tenderloin)

Alamo Square/Painted Ladies

Mission District/Mission Dolores Park

????

SATURDAY June 21

Bus to Haight Ashbury

Bus to Golden Gate Park -- Conservatory of Flowers

Ride Shuttle around GGP

Bus to Cliff House

Lunch (Louis Rest. ???)

Walk to Land’s End Lookout

Bus back to Hilton Financial District

Dinner (??)

SUNDAY June 22

7:30 am – Pick up Rental Car at Enterprise Fisherman’s Wharf (Beach St.)

Drive to Muir Woods

Leave Muir Woods & then Marin Headlands (photos)

Drive to Carmel (Carmel Valley Ranch) Arrive around 4:00pm

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Itinerary Comments???

Kudos to you for taking the time to plan it all out. I went through it quickly and it looks ok

Except that you have Ferry building , CA cable car and then Fisherman's wharf -- that sounds like a round about way. You can spend perhaps a couple of hours at Fisherman's wharf and some time at the Musee but you will have a lot more time on this day between that and your 5 pm Alcatraz.

Also the whole day in the Mission ?

Baton Rouge...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Itinerary Comments???

Thanks. Yes, you are right, belomiser. Thinking about revamping order on Thursday and adding Golden Gate Bridge in morning, but didn't want to get there too early if there is morning fog. Don't yet have the entire day planned for Friday.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Itinerary Comments???

It's not crab season so I wouldn't be ordering Dungeness.

While in GG Park, go up to the top of the tower at the de young (free).

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,661 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Itinerary Comments???

Agree it a nice concise itinerary and consider using F Market for the FW to Ferry Building transit (or vice versa) . And, I generally agree CA Cable Car is a good idea to save time.

Will try to leave some more detailed comments tomorrow when on a computer instead of my phone.

Lastly, don't think you (or your daughter) will be disappointed with R&G.

hlo

Edited: 17 June 2014, 23:21
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,706 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Itinerary Comments???

Agree on generally looks great.

Quick comment about lunch on your GGP day. Your dining options are infinitely better if you eat around Irving and 9th before going out to the beach. Do Haight, museums, Conservatory. Should be lunch and brunch by then. Lots of great places near Irving. I like Crepevine, Park Chow, La Boulangerie, Nopolita, and Gordo's there. Plenty more from which to choose. There are a good number of sushi and pizza places too. Louis would be for the view I suppose. It's Saturday so may also be very busy at Louis.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Itinerary Comments???

R&G across street from your hotel, so that would be convenient.

Ferry building farmers market on Sat is larger. dinner in North Beach would be fine.. Like Sotto Mare. Or Mercedes for Mexican or Palio diAsti for Italian is nearby your hotel though i would walk further and try Tadich Grill or Kokkari

Edited: 18 June 2014, 09:09
7. Re: Trip Itinerary Comments???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 06:16