We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July - jeans or shorts?

Indiana
Level Contributor
244 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
July - jeans or shorts?

Just saw the average weather in SF in July is low 70's....? Do people normally wear pants or shorts in July during the day? I'm assuming pants at night?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July - jeans or shorts?

Shorts downtown mean tourist. But wear what you want.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July - jeans or shorts?

I wear my PJ's at night.

Oh wait you mean out and about town? Yes definitely long pants. You'll freeze in shorts.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July - jeans or shorts?

Can i ask where you saw the average july temp in SF is low 70s?

weather.com/weather/…USCA0987

Edited: 18 June 2014, 01:53
San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,099 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July - jeans or shorts?

I'd say that's the high day temperature in a warm part of town, once every four days for an hour. Your results may vary, but bring a jacket and a beanie, especially if you are going out to Alcatraz, or the Golden Gate Bridge, or Ocean Beach, or Chrissy Field, or the Marina Green, or the Richmond District, or the Sunset District (zoo), ....well, most anywhere!

Indiana
Level Contributor
244 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July - jeans or shorts?

I can't remember where I saw those temps but it was from a google search. Thank you so much for this info. It really helps......I can't believe it's that cold there!? I would of packed totally wrong.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,665 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July - jeans or shorts?

I am holding my breath. We will get a poster here who will say they wear shorts all over the city. Just you wait

Right now it must be in the high 50s to low 60s and the temp will drop. So please wear what you think you want to wear in that temperature.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July - jeans or shorts?

It entirely depends on where you are and what you're doing. I could see shorts in the Mission or Castro - maybe near the Bay at Crissy Field - but that's usually the mid part of the day - and entirely dependent on the weather report. After 3pm the temperature just drops and it's really the wind that picks up after 5pm where you'll wish you'd be in long pants with a sweater or sweatshirt and maybe a scarf.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July - jeans or shorts?

I do not think I own what people in the rest of the country consider to be "summer clothes." And the high temps in town must be taken under a heat lamp.

Along the waterfront (Ferry Building, the Wharf, Marina, Crissy Field), in GG Park, going over the bridge, on a ferry across the bay or on Alcatraz the real temps will be 5-15 degrees lower than stated and it will be a lot breezier.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July - jeans or shorts?

You know? San Francisco is just not a "shorts" town, both because of the weather and because....ummm....they look strange here. <grin>. Wear them and you will point out to anybody who wants to scam you that you are a 'tourist'.

Indiana
Level Contributor
244 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: July - jeans or shorts?

Thank you for all your insights!!