We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fire Engine Tour

London, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fire Engine Tour

I have read some reviews for this on the tripadvisor page but it's listed under San Francisco with young kids. The children in our group are 13, 14, 15 and 17. Would this tour be suitable?

Thank you

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fire Engine Tour

This seems to be an obligatory birthday activity for kids up to age 8-10. Teens might find it uncool. But everyone's different. Ask your kids.

You sit outside so if you take it, bundle up (I think it crosses the GG Bridge).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,804 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fire Engine Tour

well our preteen did it as a birthday treat and enjoyed it (when he was 10 I think ) and I think he would rather drink a glass of wheat grass then take that tour as a teen now.

do segway tours or gocar tours (the gocar may be a logistical issue if you don't have 4 adults and 4 teens as the teens need to be with an adult) or even bike with them over the GG bridge. That is more cool.

Edited: 18 June 2014, 15:52
London, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fire Engine Tour

Thanks for replies. Will ask kids what they think?

Do the gocars follows a specified route? I'm guessing you drive down the regular roads.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fire Engine Tour

The Go Cars are GPS navigated so it provides narration as you follow the directions. They do use regular roads but they don't go very fast and they're low so definitely not recommended for downtown streets. Out in the western neighborhoods they're better. However, you have to be 21 to drive a GoCar so you won't be able to have two of your kids in one car.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fire Engine Tour

If you do GoCars, just make sure you have good navigational skills. …cbslocal.com/2013/…

But if you stay away from downtown streets as WD recommends, you should be fine.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,070 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fire Engine Tour

The Gocars have GPS-narrated tours which tell you the route to take (turn right on Columbus, turn left on....), but you don't HAVE to follow the route. You'll just be driving around, rather than having the tour "guide" tell you what you're seeing, and you have to stay off of the freeways and bridges, but there's nothing to prevent you from taking your own route. (The cars are street-legal, not freeway-legal.)

London, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fire Engine Tour

Not sure if gocars are a good idea for us (we are travelling with another family so the adult to children ratio is fine) - it's the driving bit I'm not so keen on!! Still thinking of fire engine tour.

8. Re: Fire Engine Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 06:15