We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car vs. Bart

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Car vs. Bart

We are visiting family and staying in the Richmond area for 6 days. Our combined group (9 adults, 2 kids) plan on visiting SF for 2, maybe 3 days and I'm wondering how to best get into the city. We do have cars available, but I'm usually a fan of mass transit. Would it be easier/faster to take the BART in to SF (from El Cerrito del Norte) and avoid commuter traffic?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,301 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car vs. Bart

faster yes during peak hours. Cheaper or not depends on where you plan to go and what you plan to see and which day of the week it is

Redding, California
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car vs. Bart

When you add up parking (of which there is a very limited supply in SF), time, and stress - in my book, even the cost of BART beats driving into SF.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car vs. Bart

If you add up 11 round trip fares on BART, you get over $94. I'd consider driving in two cars after 9:45 am, and parking for the day, or driving to the Golden Gate Bridge, and all places that are longer to get to, like Golden Gate Park, Legion of Honor, twin Peaks, etc for at least one of the days. So let's see what's on your wish list. Maybe some of your family familiar w. driving in the City could do chauffeur duty.

Stay in the City until after the afternoon rush

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car vs. Bart

We'll be going during the week (M/W), Alcatraz/Fisherman's Wharf area (and into nearby sites) for one day. The second day has not been planned.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,301 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car vs. Bart

If you come early and park in the early bird lots it may be cheaper than BART for 9. This is for the main attractions. If you go to GG Park and GG Bridge and Twin peak parking there is either free for a limited time or quite cheap and it will be more economical.

I think the cost of BART and MUNI for 9 would be more than parking in the city. But there will be traffic as you will be with commuters

sf
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car vs. Bart

Yes this is the few times I'd agree on having a car, is better than BBART due to your large group. If you have lunch in Embarcadero Center when going to Alcatraz, they validate so 3 hours is only $8.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,164 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car vs. Bart

You know you need to prepurchase Alcatraz tickets WAY in advance? www.alcatrazcruises.com is the only official website.

8. Re: Car vs. Bart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 05:17