We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another great day...another question

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Another great day...another question

Will do my trip report at home. It's just about midnight and I'm brain dead again, ready to hit the sack. I'm taking us all to North Beach tomorrow I think for dinner, and to go up to Coit tower. Would you please recommend a couple restaurants. We are not foodies..ambiance is more important to us. Ds, 20 said SF is the coolest place he's ever been, I'm assuming we can get there on our muni pass. Bought a 3 dayer and still a bit unsure of where it will take me and what to catch. Thanks and good night.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,597 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another great day...another question

Try Trattoria Contadina ......off the tourist track a little but still very handy in North Beach.

http://www.trattoriacontadina.com/

Great seafood and very San Francisco at Sotto Mare

sottomaresf.com/Sotto_Mare_Seafood_Restauran…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another great day...another question

You might try Original Joe's it is Italian and in its new location in North Beach, was a San Francisco institution when it was located in the tenderloin area.

http://originaljoessf.com/

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another great day...another question

I like both the above suggestions. Park Tavern is another option. Not as Italian and a bit more upscale but good food. The House is another. Asian Fusion and exceptionally good.

You MUST have a reservation on a Saturday night or be prepared to wait. I would also go on the early side as North Beach can't get rather rowdy later in the evening. It's a popular place for suburbanites to party on weekends.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Another great day...another question

For a family on a budget looking for a North Beach "feel", tons of ambiance and huge bowls of family style soups and salad, you might enjoy Capp's Corner. They call themselves "Italian Family Style" and they will make you feel like part of the family as soon as you walk in. Just a couple of blocks off the "tourist track", and easy to get to. Check out the pictures and menu to see if this fits your needs.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60713-d35…

Happy Trails!!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,219 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another great day...another question

Does your iPad mini have network access outisde of wifi. If so take the 39 coit tower from Fishermans. Wharf all the way to the tower. Perhaps that will be easier and you can then walk back to North beach Some good suggestions. Also add e tutto qa and ideale

Unless you have a reservation just walk around see what smells and looks good and go in early and just hang out. Have a glass of wine and chill if there is a wait

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Another great day...another question

+1 for taking the bus UP to Coit before eating. Then by the time you walk back down everything in North Beach will smell good! If you find yourselves in NB for lunch you might stroll past all the shops and cafes to Molinari's on Columbus. Read the reviews so you know how to order the luscious home made sandwiches. Wrap them up with some drinks and go back to Washington Square, one of the most beautiful places on earth for a picnic on the green while you look up at Coit Tower and over at Sts. Peter and Paul, Joltin' Joe's parish. Or, if you just can't wait, just walk over to Liguria Bakery for some slabs of freshly baked foccacia..Go early or it will all be gone.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60713-d87…

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60713-d89…

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,050 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another great day...another question

Your Muni pass will get you on all public transit run by the city of SF, which is probably 90% of the transit you'll see around. Exceptions are BART and Golden Gate Transit (and AC Transit, but you're unlikely to see those buses much around the city). So, yes, you'll be able to get to North Beach using it.

I'm going to disagree with belo, as most of the better restaurants will be packed on a Saturday night and hard to just walk into. Well, except Sotto Mare, since they don't take reservations ;)

ugyved2's suggestions would work better for lunch than dinner, unless you wanted to spend the entire day there. Liguria does sell out early... by 1 pm or so at the latest!

8. Re: Another great day...another question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 06:16