We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Help for 1 night??

New Jersey
Level Contributor
336 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Help for 1 night??

I only have a few nights (boo hoo) to eat out in San Fran. I made 1 night at the Slanted Door and couldn't get into Gary Danko for the 2nd night. Probably better off as it sounds astronomically $$.

Any special ideas for my last night?? We eat everything in our 40's and looking for great food and a fun atmosphere. Chinatown?? Frascati?? Also, we live in the NYC area soooooo......

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Help for 1 night??

<<Also, we live in the NYC area soooooo......>>

Which means what? (I've had more meals than I care to remember in Jersey and couldn't recommend any of them.)

What are you looking for? Frascati is excellent. Across the street is Stone's Throw which is as well. Or Mason Pacific. Or Venticello.

If you'd like to head toward another neighborhood L'ardoise is very good at Duboce Triangle or Zazie in Cole Valley. Both are on the metro.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,369 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Help for 1 night??

www.sfgate.com/food has a top 100 list. www.opentable.com is also a great place to look at

Since you are East coast based, have a look at our Ca cuisine places from Rich Table to Frances to Sons and Daughters to Atelier Crenn to State Bird Provisions . Check the menus and prices

Classics such as Zuni Cafe, Wayfare Tavern, Boulevard.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
336 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Help for 1 night??

thank you both for the additional suggestions. I will look at some of the menus today. BTW, do you know if the Slanted Door is good. TA gives it very mixed reviews?? The Jersey reference was only to suggest the NYC availability? I also have had some bad meals here! Hope to eat better there...

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,061 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Help for 1 night??

Slanted Door's reputation depends on who you are talking to. The foodie crowd doesn't consider it the "best" Vietnamese restaurant in the city, but the ones that have more "street cred" are in an area that isn't very pleasant at night, and they have no atmosphere. Slanted Door is a very hip, urban, modern interior with top-quality ingredients in their Vietnamese street food, like shaking beef (or my favorite, the caramelized prawns). It is not inexpensive, but is quite enjoyable and may be something unusual for you.

For a chef-driven restaurant (that modern California/American food that belo is talking about), I love Sons & Daughters. Priced fairly high ($100 per person or so for a fixed tasting menu), it's a little bitty store front with Michelin-star-quality food (what some people consider fussy food, though, so check out the menu). The others belo mentions are also very good, especially State Bird Provisions (modern California food served via carts, dim sum style). For SBP, go around 4 pm, line up, and hope you get one of their walk-in seats when they open. (You can try to make a booking, but good luck with that!)

I also like WD's suggestions of Stone's Throw and Mason Pacific.

If you do want to spend the rent, try Coi, where the genius chef uses molecular gastronomy to play with food and pack a ton of flavor into each bite. I think it's up to almost French-Laundry prices now... $160-ish for the fixed menu.

Check out www.chowhound.com/boards/1 for a more food-centered message board.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,369 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Help for 1 night??

Agree with Susan about slanted door. Great drinks and SOME great dishes the ones that Susan mentions

And Mason pacific that wd mentioned is also very good and their steak for two is excellent

New Jersey
Level Contributor
336 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Help for 1 night??

thanks for the feedback. Your insight to slanted door helps a lot. I am saving this post as I also am planning another trip for next year and will have a great list going!!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Help for 1 night??

Be sure to ask again next year. Things will have changed!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,369 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Help for 1 night??

By next year our favorite places to eat may be on Fisherman's wharf. :-) Hehe

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
41,539 posts
1,251 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Help for 1 night??

We are also fans of Restaurant Gary Danko, but often fail to get reservations there too.

We like Michael Mina's (not his Bourbon Steak in the old Michael Mina location - St. Francis), in the old Aqua location on California St. michaelmina.net/restaurants/… Also Quince, on Pacific Ave. http://quincerestaurant.com/ will probably be closest to Gary Danko. Both of those restaurants are in the Financial District.

Enjoy!

Hunt

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Help for 1 night??

I'll never pass up a chance to dine at Frascati. It was one of our top three favorites (along with Gary Danko and House of Prime Rib) during our 10-day 40th anniversary trip to SF.