We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which neighbourhood to stay for solo female traveller?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Which neighbourhood to stay for solo female traveller?

Hi!

Which neighbourhood would you recommend for a 23 year old solo female traveller?

I'm a bit confused as it seems central, touristy areas can get dangerous at night. In that case which areas are safe to stay?

Thanks!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which neighbourhood to stay for solo female traveller?

What is your budget?

There is no problem with the Union Square area, day or night. It is a few blocks from the Tenderloin which isn't particularly nice at night but that doesn't mean that one overlaps the other.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which neighbourhood to stay for solo female traveller?

My choice would be Union Square. You will have a variety of hotels, and of restaurants you can walk to. You would have no reason to go into the Tenderloin.

In Union Square, if you are an upscale shopper, you will be in heaven.

You would also have good access to all if the different kinds of public transportation to visi other areas of the city.

As White Dahlia suggested, if you give a budget we can suggest hotels.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,016 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which neighbourhood to stay for solo female traveller?

Central SF, like Central London, is generally safe. We have more homeless/panhandlers on the streets than you, but they are generally not threatening. I go home from work in the Union Square area around 10-11 pm and it's fine (in fact, there are fewer homeless later at night). Just use your big-city common sense (purse closed and close to your body, be aware of who's around you, don't have your head buried in a map or an app, avoid dark parks and alleys).

Minnesota, USA
Level Contributor
709 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which neighbourhood to stay for solo female traveller?

Union Square is a good choice, but you may also want to consider the Lombard Street hotel area in the Marina/Union Square area. I've stayed here several times solo, and it is very safe and has more of a "neighborhood" feel. There are tons of restaurants (of all price ranges), and shops especially on Chestnut Street (one block north). Bonus: the hotel rates are generally cheaper!

Although not really as "centrally" located as Union Square, you can take the #30 bus (again on Chestnut) right to Union Square, the #28 bus to the Golden Gate Bridge and the #22 bus on Fillmore-they will get you just about anywhere you want to go!.

Wherever you decide to stay, have a fun trip!

Edited: 24 June 2014, 18:04
Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
871 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which neighbourhood to stay for solo female traveller?

I was also going to say the Marina/chestnut/lombard area

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which neighbourhood to stay for solo female traveller?

there was a young lady by the name of Dani, i believe, who traveled solo. why don't you read her trip report :)

London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which neighbourhood to stay for solo female traveller?

Thanks for all the great advice and recommendations! I will look into the Marina/lombard area! :)

I will look up Dani's report! Thank you :)

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which neighbourhood to stay for solo female traveller?

Dani was the delightful young lady from Dublin? You should also read her thread full of excellent questions and answers that led up to her final trip report. Very good info all around.

9. Re: Which neighbourhood to stay for solo female traveller?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 05:17