We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kites & Cupcakes

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Kites & Cupcakes

Hi, our trip is still a couple of months away but trying to nail down a few little details (most of the time we are just going to wing it). Our youngest child is turning 3 on our last day in San Francisco and we're thinking to celebrate we would like to have a picnic and fly some kites -weather permitting of course. Much simpler than organizing a party like we would be if we were at home. So, for the questions...

1. Where could we pick up some inexpensive kites in the usual touristy areas (we can do that in the days beforehand as we are exploring)?

2. Could you please give some suggestions for a safe & scenic park to do this in?

3. Any ideas on where we could get cupcakes near our hotel? We are staying at Travelodge by the Bay 1450 Lombard St.

Thanks in advance.

Dylan's Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours
Streets of San Francisco Bike Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kites & Cupcakes

There is a kite store on Grant in Chinatown.

Marina Green is great for kites. About 7-10 blocks from your hotel.

Kara's Cupcakes on Scott between Lombard and Chestnut is a popular place. Also located in the neighborhood you're staying.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kites & Cupcakes

Thank you so much. Sounds perfect :)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kites & Cupcakes

The kite shop is a lot of fun. It's on Grant which is the main tourist street in Chinatown -- between Sacramento and Clay: http://www.chinatownkite.com/index.html

And Kara's http://www.karascupcakes.com/

(I was on my iPad earlier and links are more difficult.)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kites & Cupcakes

That's great, thank you. I know it probably seems silly to be worrying about where to get cupcakes, but we want to make sure the kids get to have a good old fashioned run around and fun on his birthday especially. Your response has really helped...now hopefully we will get good weather!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kites & Cupcakes

That's great, thank you. I know it probably seems silly to be worrying about where to get cupcakes, but we want to make sure the kids get to have a good old fashioned run around and fun on his birthday especially. Your response has really helped...now hopefully we will get good weather!

Edited: 25 June 2014, 15:52
San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kites & Cupcakes

I would suggest 3 pm on for kite flying on Marina Green. That's when the ocean breezes come in through the Golden Gate with good velocity.

7. Re: Kites & Cupcakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 07:16