We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving: Sacramento to SF 2pm tomorrow! Where to stop?

Providence, Rhode...
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving: Sacramento to SF 2pm tomorrow! Where to stop?

Hi, I am flying into Sacramento for 2pm tomorrow and have rented a car to drive down to San Francisco to stay for the remainder of the trip (4 days). I will be with a friend and we are wondering if it would be worth it to detour to Napa Valley for a late lunch? If not, what else is there along the way we could do/see-- that would allow us to arrive in SF no later than 9 or 10pm? We are females in our late 20s if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Redding, California
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving: Sacramento to SF 2pm tomorrow! Where to stop?

You could detour off I-80 and take Highway 12 to Napa. Not a particularly scenic route but it will get you there, and you'll get to SF by 9 PM.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving: Sacramento to SF 2pm tomorrow! Where to stop?

there is the jelly belly factory in fairfield.

LA
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving: Sacramento to SF 2pm tomorrow! Where to stop?

You really don't need a car in SF. In fact, parking can be a significant expense.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving: Sacramento to SF 2pm tomorrow! Where to stop?

You could take the Yolobus to downtown Sacramento from the airport and then take a Capitol Corridor train into San Francisco thereby avoiding the car rental.

However, if you want to drive, you could take a nice backroad route from Davis through Winters and then via Hwy 128 by Lake Berryessa over to Rutherford. Have your late lunch at the Rutherford Grill and then drive down to Oakville and take the Oakville Grade over to the Sonoma Valley and spend some time walking around the Sonoma Plaza. Then, in the evening, work your way into San Francisco via the Golden Gate Bridge. Make sure you know how to pay the toll if you take that route.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving: Sacramento to SF 2pm tomorrow! Where to stop?

Late lunch or early dinner? Yes you can definitely detour to Napa for that. Be aware that when you enter SF from Napa using the Golden Gate Bridge, you'll have to pre-paid your bridge toll. There is no longer toll takers on the bridge.

Irvine, California
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving: Sacramento to SF 2pm tomorrow! Where to stop?

Napa would be a good quick detour to stop and do a little wine tasting. Other than that, there isn't much I would recommend. I would not recommend the Jelly Belly Factory unless you are trying to find ways to waste your time. The drive from Sacramento to San Francisco is fairly quick and you can easily do it without any stops.

7. Re: Driving: Sacramento to SF 2pm tomorrow! Where to stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 07:16