We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip suggestions

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
1 post
Save Topic
Road trip suggestions

Hello!

My hubby and I will be visiting San Francisco for our anniversary in September. We are looking to spend two full days exploring San Francisco, but are looking to rent a car and take a road trip to see the coastline as well. We have allotted approximately 4 nights/5 days max to do this. The road trip will need to start and end in SF. We are young 30s, active, love the outdoors, animals, and unique shopping/towns. We are not interested in nightlife or museums, however an interesting tour is not out of the question. Would love to see some redwoods, a winery if convenient (a friend took a tour by bike which seemed interesting), beautiful coastline (with drop offs maybe) and quaint towns hopefully with cute window shopping and unique architecture or character.

Is there a route that would allow to see all of this? We are not opposed to back tracking, if need be, as driving a lot does not bother us and we like to stay busy. If not, what would accomplish the majority of this? We can also spend more time in SF if need be. Open to lots of variety of suggestions.

Thanks in advance!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip suggestions

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i34002-North_of…

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,516 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip suggestions

You could delete one night from the road trip to add to SF, as two full days is barely enough time to skim the highlights. Then you have two choices for the roadtrip... north of the city (Muir Woods, Marin County, the Sonoma Coast, Mendocino, maybe even Napa/Sonoma wine country) or south of the city (Henry Cowell Redwoods, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur).

I'd say Carmel is the cutesy (but very upscale) window shopping you want, Big Sur is dramatic coastal scenery with great drop-offs, there are redwoods at Henry Cowell, and wineries around Monterey. You could do all 3 nights in Monterey, or 2 nights Monterey and 1 night Big Sur.

Going north, Mendocino is cutesy window shopping (but less polished than Carmel, funkier and more hippie than glamour), there are ocean views (although I think it is less dramatic than Big Sur), redwoods just north of SF at Muir Woods and of course, lots of wineries in the Napa and Sonoma areas. You could do 1 night in Jenner, one in Mendocino and one inland in Healdsburg or Sonoma.

3. Re: Road trip suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 07:16