We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco two Days 3rd week in September

st. peters, missouri
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
San Francisco two Days 3rd week in September

Hello Everyone! First and maybe only trip to San Francisco. WE are nature and ocean lovers on a budget. Any suggestions of where to stay or what to do would be GREATLY appreciated! Should we stay near Fishermans Wharf for practicality? And for the ocean? Is it worth the trip to Muir Woods? Haight Ashbury? Should we bike across the Golden Gate or visit Alcatraz? Thank You!!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,729 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Haight-Ashbury
Haight-Ashbury
1,220 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Park
8,475 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
California
Level Contributor
11,939 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco two Days 3rd week in September

hi: if you have 2 full days (bracketed by 3 nights), you can get a sense of the city and the bay....you are in SF for your first time so I would spend 1 day "inside" the city and the other day as your chosen "nature/ocean" day.

Depending upon your energy, you could take a bike ride across the bridge (via beautiful Crissy Field) and down to Sausalito then take the ferry back and later in the evening an Alcatraz tour. Nice expansive water day with perhaps a cable car ride and some relaxing time near Aquatic Park. Next day could concentrate on a neighborhood or two--walk around Chinatown, North Beach/Coit Tower/Filbert Steps/Embarcadero....

While Muir Woods is definitely wonderful, with only 2 days, perhaps i'd stay closer in.... I am presuming you will not have a car (which is a good thing)--also, in my opinion, you do not need to go to Haight Ashbury on this trip unless you include it with a Golden Gate Park adventure. As you said, you're on a budget--tours & museums cost so that will factor into your choices as well. Links below should provide some nice info....as far as lodging, there is the San Remo Hotel in Fisherman's Wharf/North Beach. I'm sure others will chime in who know more....have a wonderful time!

www.sanremohotel.com/

presidio.gov/explore/Pages/crissy-field.aspx

www.sfgate.com/neighborhoods/

www.calacademy.org/

www.blazingsaddles.com/san-francisco

Mentioned in this post
Crissy Field
Crissy Field
1,289 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Sausalito
Sausalito
Marin County, CA
Aquatic Park
Aquatic Park
60 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
North Beach
North Beach
262 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Coit Tower
Coit Tower
3,989 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Filbert Steps
Filbert Steps
472 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
834 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Haight-Ashbury
Haight-Ashbury
1,220 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Park
8,475 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Remo Hotel
San Remo Hotel
1,142 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,729 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco two Days 3rd week in September

Given what you have said about yourselves, there is one thing I would suggest over all others. Take the bus out to Lands End. Try to do this at low tide and you will be greatly rewarded. Keep walking for amazing ocean views, the bridge, the bay. all the way back around into the City. Stop at Ft. Point if you have the time. IMHO, this is the greatest nature exposure you will find in SF.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60713-d11…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60713-d14…

Mentioned in this post
Lands End
Lands End
2,408 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
3. Re: San Francisco two Days 3rd week in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 06:17