We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Half Moon Bay or Sonoma? Need advice on deciding

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
Save Topic
Day Trip to Half Moon Bay or Sonoma? Need advice on deciding

My cousins and I will be visiting San Francisco in mid August and we are thinking of taking a day trip to either Sonoma or Half Moon Bay and stay overnight. Had a few questions:

-Which place would be easier to get to and easier to get around in without a rental car? Or would we absolutely need a car in both places?

-Which place is more scenic and has more fun things to do for a group of 22 year olds?

-Apart from Sonoma or Half Moon Bay, do you suggest somewhere else for a day trip?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Half Moon Bay or Sonoma? Need advice on deciding

I think it is hard to go either way without driving your own car. The difficult part is to go where you want to go within town, in addition to the getting there from San Francisco.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Half Moon Bay or Sonoma? Need advice on deciding

There are a number of tour companies that do day tours of wineries in Sonoma. But that's about the only way of getting there without a car. Half Moon Bay is not easy at all by transit.

How about Sausalito?

Edited: 30 June 2014, 14:13
Central Coast...
Level Contributor
127 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Half Moon Bay or Sonoma? Need advice on deciding

Neither of those places would be my pick for 22 year olds, unless you are all wine aficionados, maybe Sonoma. Instead go to Santa Cruz and the Boardwalk there, a concert at the Catalyst, hang out on the beach for a day. Lots of young people and fun there.

Level Contributor
34,979 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Half Moon Bay or Sonoma? Need advice on deciding

Half Moon Bay has a harbor, some nice restaurants and a cool downtown area. Do they golf? There is a beautiful course at The Ritz. What is your budget for lodging? We have stayed at The Best Western, The Amerivalue Inn, Ritz, Hotel Oceano and The Beach House there. Of course, the Ritz is my favorite with The Beach House a close second for their oceanview pool and jacuzzi. :).

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Half Moon Bay or Sonoma? Need advice on deciding

We're not wine lovers but I thought maybe Sonoma would at least be a nice place to visit. Where would you say is the easiest place to get to?

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Half Moon Bay or Sonoma? Need advice on deciding

@WhiteDahlia: I initially thought of Sausalito as well! But is there enough to do there? Compared to Half Moon Bay and Sonoma it seems really small?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,925 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Half Moon Bay or Sonoma? Need advice on deciding

Without your own car, it's hard to do HMB. I like the idea of a tour to Sonoma or Napa. Even though you're not wine connoisseurs (neither am I), it would be good to get an overview and not have to worry about driving. As newly legal drinkers, you'll have a head start with wine knowledge than many folks.

I am not sure if there is enough to do in Sausalito either. Perhaps if you include a bike ride over the GGB it would be and plenty of people do that daytrip easily without a car. Or you can rent a car and go to Muir Woods as well as Sausalito though you'll pay more for being under 25yo.

How many days are you in SF? Do you really need to leave the city. So so much to do.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,947 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Half Moon Bay or Sonoma? Need advice on deciding

I can't see getting to Sonoma without a car.....and the same goes for Half Moon Bay.

If you want to come to Santa Cruz you could take CalTrain to the Diridon Station in San Jose and then transfer to a Santa Cruz Metro bus, the Highway 17 Express. This is going to take some planning to read the schedules and make suitable connections and the travel will be time consuming. I would not decide to do this lightly. And, then remember that you have to get back to San Francisco. This would be better as an overnight trip.

However, if you should decide to come here....a traveler article for you to know what is here.

http://tinyurl.com/cy7nl3c

Good Luck.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
23,265 posts
5,360 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip to Half Moon Bay or Sonoma? Need advice on deciding

Without a car you might consider a tour such as

getyourguide.com/san-francisco-l61/…

or instead of Half Moon Bay go to Monterey on an overnight tour

viator.com/tours/…d651-2660MONTOVER

there are other tour companies - just an example of one for each place above

As already so well mentioned by others, Half Moon Bay is difficult without a car.

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip to Half Moon Bay or Sonoma? Need advice on deciding

+1 for biking over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito and taking the ferry back. Nice half-day (at least) and a boat ride, to add to the fun. (Option, if the great outdoors appeals to you: continue biking to Tiburon and ferry over to Angel Island -- research that!)

+1 for Santa Cruz. You'd probably have more fun there than in wine country and certainly more fun than in Half Moon Bay (sorry HMB fans!).