We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel help

Hi

We are staying in San Francisco for a few nights in mid-October. There'll just be two of us and we are hoping for a hotel that's pretty convenient for all the main attractions but which has relatively quiet rooms (I know that may be a big ask since it is a city and not in the middle of the countryside). I have been looking at the Donatello and Scarlet Huntington and wondered whether anyone has experience of either that they would be happy to share? I've looked at reviews for both and was a bit put off the Donatello by people saying the hotel staff tried to sell timeshares to them.

Thanks in anticipation.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel help

I would go with the Dontello for convenience. Yes, it's a timeshare but you don't realize it from the property. Whether they "push" timeshares or not, the rooms are quite nice, large and newly renovated.

The Huntington is also nice and was just reopened after it's renovation and branding to the "Scarlet." I haven't seen it since. The downside to its location is being on top of Nob Hill. Great for getting to Grace Cathedral and that's about all.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,439 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel help

We have stayed at the Donatello for years, usually two or three times each year as we go into the city for theater. There is a time share desk off to the side of the front desk, and occasionally, but not often, we have been invited to look at literature. When we decline there is no pressure.

We like this hotel very much. The rooms are large and include a king size bed and a queen sofa in a sitting area which makes into a bed for extra guests, and a wet bar with cofee maker, microwave and fridge. There is also some minimum crockery and flatware..handy for snacks. And the top floor has a fitness center and a nice lounge with free coffee and newspapers, a fireplace and two terraces. The rooms were redecorated about three years ago.

There is a nightclub across Mason Street, but if you ask for a room on the Post Street side you won't be bothered in case there happened to be a crowd waiting to get in, or some rowdies leaving the place after closing.

The Huntington is a venerable hotel with a good history, but it is on top of Nob Hill, which is quite a climb from Union Square. If you wanted to drop off some purchases, or take a nap in the middle of the day, you would have to get up that hill. Cable cars run up, but they cost $6/pop. Incidentally, notice that I did not call it the "Scarlet". That company bought it recently and it jars me every time I hear it. Many of us have the same reaction to hearing the venerable St. Francis hotel called the "Westin".

Whatever you decide, have a lovely visit.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,410 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel help

If you want to be in a relatively quiet area the Scarlett would be a better choice but it is in a city. Both Puter and White D have given you the best info you can get. If you like a newly renovated hotel with some walking, climbing to do in a relatively less noisy place go with the Scarlett. you may still hear the clang of the cable car bells. If you like the Donatello which gets good reviews from others as well and is logistically in a better location but more noisy, well then you should do the donatello.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel help

You've gotten good advice/comments, I'll just add one more difference - potential views from your room. I don't think this would decide it for me, but it is something I would consider. You'll have to weigh how important (or not) it is to you.

If that's something you're after it's going to be better at the Huntington given that it is on top of Nob Hill. The two hotels are roughly the same (~10-12, not 100% sure), but even a lower floor on the Huntington will have a better view than a higher room at the Donatello as: 1) You start up on top of the hill, and b) Generally there are more taller buildings around the Donatello.

Of course, individual rooms may vary, not sure if any of the Huntington rooms have restricted views or not.

Just one other little difference,

hlo

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,439 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel help

In my memory, having stayed there, the Huntington has small windows, and you have to ask for a room which looks out in the direction you want. Otherwise, it may be a light well or a roof. Similar to the windows in the rooms in the older section of the Fairmont.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel help

Thanks all for the advice. It sounds like the Donatello may be the best option. It would be nice to have the view that the Huntington sounds to offer but I guess you can't have everything! Thanks

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,439 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel help

The two terraces on the top floor of the Donatello give you a nice city overview and out towards the East Bay. Nothing as dramatic as the tower rooms at the Fairmont on Nob Hill, of course. This is the 16th floor, I believe. It is nice to sit up there and read a free newspaper and drink a free cup of coffee.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
14 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel help

Since the weather is typically on the warmer side in October, a beachside B&B in the Outer Sunset may not be a bad idea. (If you like fog, staying in that area would be a great idea in the summer months.) It's possible to take one of the MUNI lines downtown (a 30-minute ride to the Embarcadero station). Not sure if all the B&Bs offer on-line reservation, but they should respond quickly to e-mail. They would also save some money, over most good hotels downtown.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,439 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel help

Popsiflump,

If you want lodgings pretty close to main attractions you do not want to be in the "outer Sunset". If you are in the Union Square area you can walk to restaurants, Chinatown, any kind of shopping you want, and get quick transport, or actually walk, to the Embarcadero. Fisherman's Wharf is a cable car or trolly ride away.

10. Re: Hotel help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 06:16