We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coastal Train Trip San Francisco to Mt Shasta

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Coastal Train Trip San Francisco to Mt Shasta

Hi in September we are travelling to San Francisco. As part of this journey I will be doing a retreat for 4 days in Mt Shasta so we thought we could take our time (say a week) to go by train on the most scenic route to Mt Shasta. Any ideas what might be the easiest way to do this. We can hire a car closer to Shasta if we need to. I am told the Coastal Starlight Amtrak train is wonderful but now sure where to stop and what is worth seeing on the way and how we may get from the coast to Shasta. I appreciate any help with this.

Thank you

Bridgit

Redding, California
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coastal Train Trip San Francisco to Mt Shasta

Amtrak doesn't actually stop in Mt. Shasta. It stops in Dunsmuir about 5 AM. Dunsmuir is about 9 miles south of Mt. Shasta and there is a bus service to get to Mt. Shasta.

…siskiyou.ca.us/content/transportation-divis…

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,694 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coastal Train Trip San Francisco to Mt Shasta

I don't think people were talking about this portion of the route when they praised the Coast Starlight. The name of the train is rather a misnomer anyway because it only runs along the coast for a relatively short section in southern CA. Otherwise it is inland. If you are going to get a car once you arrive in the Shasta area, skip the train and just get a car in SF.

Perth
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coastal Train Trip San Francisco to Mt Shasta

Thank you would you suggest stopping in Sacramento and San Diego or anywhere else on the way that is worth seeing? Some have said the Coastal Starlight only goes a short distance, I expect we would have to catch an inland train up to Dunsmuir....is that correct? Whats worth seeing up there??

I appreciate your comments

Redding, California
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coastal Train Trip San Francisco to Mt Shasta

The Coast Starlight heads east from the coastline to an inland route. You don't have to catch a separate train.

Mossbrae Falls at Dunsmuir is beautiful and worthwhile. If you like fishing, the Sacramento River runs through it. Mt. Shasta itself has a mystical/ New Age aura, a mixture of old Italian and hippie.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coastal Train Trip San Francisco to Mt Shasta

The Coastal Starlight goes from LA to Seattle. Here is the website. At the end is a list of the stations served. You should familiarize yourself with it.

http://www.amtrak.com/coast-starlight-train

There is no inland train to Dunsmuir. It is what it is.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 06:14
Perth
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coastal Train Trip San Francisco to Mt Shasta

Appreciate this. Whilst I am on the retreat my husband will have to find something to do in and around Shasta. You mentioned fishing and a bit of sight seeing. We will have a car there so anything else around there you can suggest to do / see??

Pismo Beach...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Coastal Train Trip San Francisco to Mt Shasta

I believe the Coast Starlight is the ONLY passenger train travelling north of Sacramento, and it looks like the trips both north and south from San Francisco to Dunsmuir are in the middle of the night. Also, I'm not sure whether you can rent a car in Dunsmuir???

There are three small towns in this area: Dunsmuir, Mt. Shasta and Weed. In my opinion Dunsmuir is the most interesting, a quaint old railroad town, now consisting mostly of summer cabins, camping areas and small motels. Meanwhile, there is a decent golf resort in Mt. Shasta (I assume they are open to the public). The historic "downtown" area in Weed is also kind of interesting.

For many of us living in the west, this area is simply an overnight stop when driving between southern California and the Portland or Seattle areas up north. So I'd say one must definitely "make their own fun." :-)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coastal Train Trip San Francisco to Mt Shasta

>>> We will have a car there so anything else around there you can suggest to do / see??<<<

Here is a page from the local tourist bureau....

visitmtshasta.com/activities/fish-hatchery/

And there is this

mtshastachamber.com/directory/things-to-see-…

If you do some googling you may come up with some other interesting and odd things.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Coastal Train Trip San Francisco to Mt Shasta

Are you sure you can rent a car in Dunsmuir? Very small town

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,694 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coastal Train Trip San Francisco to Mt Shasta

There are tons of things to do in CA, but I don't think we have a clear picture of the scope of your trip, so it is hard to give advice. You started with travelling to SF and then up to the Shasta area for a retreat, but then mentioned the possibility of stopping in San Diego, which is hundreds of miles to the south. Let us know the scope of the trip and we can give you better advice.