We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable seafood

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable seafood

My gf and I are here for a few days and would love to sample authentic west coast seafood, but without blowing our budget. Can anyone make a few suggestions?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable seafood

Of course many restaurants have seafood on the menu along with other things. But for specifically seafood at a "reasonable" price I would recommend Sotto Mare in North Beach, Tadich's on California in the Financial District and Hayes St. Grill in Hayes Valley.

Due to the "reasonable" constraint I'll leave off Waterbar, Farallon and Le Mer.

Many tourists are drawn to The Waterfront along the Embarcadero not far from the Ferry Building. I've never thought it was very good. And I exclude everything at the Wharf. The places there that are OK (Scoma's) are way overpriced.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,240 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable seafood

DId you check the top question on seafood. That has a good list and you can look at menus and compare prices. Chinatown in addition to the ones mentioned by White D has plenty of seafood that would be affordable .

Affordable is a subjective word but the oldest restaurant in SF has some good seafood -- Tadich Grill.

------

Embarcadero

Waterbar Great views with good seafood and a Oyster Happy hour

Hog Island Oyster Company -- Oysters in the Ferry Building in SF

La Mar Peruvian seafood restaurant with a nice bar.

Downtown/ Union Square/Polk Street/ Nob Hill

Tadich Grill Oldest Restaurant in SF

Farallon One of the more expensive restaurants

Hyde Street Seafood House

Swan Oyster Depot Lunch only. Prepare for long lines

R&G Lounge Chinese seafood

Sam's Grill Classic SF restaurant

Akiko's Restaurant Strictly by reservation only.

North Beach

Sotte Mare Italian seafood

Castro/ Hayes Valley/Divisidero/Fillmore/Noe Valley/Mission

Hayes Street Grill Classic SF restaurant

Bar Crudo Seafood Chowder, Beer pairing with seafood.

Woodhouse Fish Company Many locations

Anchor Oyster Bar Castro seafood

Hog and Rocks Oysters, ham and Whiskey

Ino Sushi Japantown

Ichi Sushi + Ni Bar

Saru Sushi Bar

Golden Gate Park Area

PPQ Dungeness Island Vietnamese seafood

Ebisu Sushi Sushi

Pacific Catch Bay Area chain with Asian Influences

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable seafood

If you are willing to get out of the usual tourist spots, you might want to consider something like Hakka.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60713-d24…

You can also do a search above for "hakka" and you will find threads that recommend this specialized type of Chinese seafood. Really tasty and worth looking for.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable seafood

I will throw in "Catch" on Market. http://www.catchsf.com

sf
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable seafood

Just stay away from anywhere on Fisherman's Wharf for reasonable prices, except Cod Mothers Fish & Chips. Scoma's is good, but not for there prices.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
94 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable seafood

WD is right on as usual. We went to Sotto Mare in North Beach last week and it was to-die-for! We started with their clam chowder and it was spectacular but the seafood risotto is what food dreams are made of! Go there!!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
45,961 posts
1,452 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable seafood

<<Many tourists are drawn to The Waterfront along the Embarcadero not far from the Ferry Building. I've never thought it was very good.>>

After dining at The Waterfront several times with friends, who love it, I feel the same way - too many better choices.

Though we gravitate to Farallon, the "affordable" part of the request does fall on deaf ears.

Per the OP's request, I will give a hearty +1 for Sotto Mare.

Hunt

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable seafood

If you don't mind eating a bit early, $1 oysters at Waterbar are hard to beat from Mon - Fri till 5:30 pm. The Happy Hour bar menu is pretty solid and reasonable. Ceviche and frito misto (especially the smelt) are excellent. The views are stunning.

9. Re: Affordable seafood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 20:16