We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided bike tour over Golden Gate Bridge

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Guided bike tour over Golden Gate Bridge

I want to ride a bike over the Golden Gate Bridge & visit Sausilito this September.

I will be on my own so prefer to do a guided tour.

Which would be the best day to do this. A Sunday or Monday?

I am looking at Blazing Saddles as you can keep the bike all day.

I am also trying to decide whether to do the Streets of San Francisco Heart of the City Bike tour on the Saturday or Dylan's Famous tour but can't decide which one to do.

Any suggestions?

Ipswich, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guided bike tour over Golden Gate Bridge

Hi we are also going to be in SFO in September. We have booked Dylan's Tours as I know they come highly recommended. We are going to hire a bike from Dylan's also for $22 per day. We are going to like you ride across the GG down to Sausalito and catching the ferry back. Cheers

Australia
Level Contributor
393 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guided bike tour over Golden Gate Bridge

I can't speak for which day is better, but I'd suggest you don't need a tour as the route is very straight forward, you get provided with a map and loads of people do this so you won't get lost. You can then go as quick, slow as you like.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guided bike tour over Golden Gate Bridge

If you are doing Dylan's tour which goes over the GG bridge and to Muir and Sausalito , Dylans can drop you in Sausalito to take the ferry back -- that should be enough of a guided tour for the bridge area imho. You can then rent a bike from Dylans as suggested and bike from Fisherman's wharf to Crissy field to the GG bridge and bike back. Hundreds of folks do this daily so you will be with many and the route is straightforward.

There is always a lot to be seen by walking or by bike that is missed in a bus. so doing both is fine.

There is a wealth of info on that bike ride in the TOP QUESTION -- that was recently updated.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 15:08
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guided bike tour over Golden Gate Bridge

Monday is a better day for the bike ride. It will be a little less crowded on the (rather narrow) bridge sidewalk and you will be able to use the east sidewalk. On weekends, bikes use the west sidewalk. Which means that your view of the city is across the lanes of traffic.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
104 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guided bike tour over Golden Gate Bridge

If I were to bike across the GGB again, I'd probably do a guided tour. I am not a very confident bicyclist, and there are just too many things to be aware of (pedestrians, bicyclists, cars, directions) that made my trip across the bridge nerve-wracking. My husband and I rode a tandem bike while our daughters each rode a single bike. This worked out better for us as my husband can do the steering and braking, while I supply the pedal power and have my hands free to take photos. :)

I don't think the bridge sidewalk is big enough to handle the 1) pedestrian traffic with people walking three or more abreast or with big strollers, 2) bicyclists, both experienced and biking fast, and the inexperienced tourists who may not be so good at steering and braking, and 3) people stopping to take photos and block the sidewalk.

We rented from Blazing Saddles on Hyde street only because they were three blocks down from where we stayed. We would have rented from Dylan's (we had taken a tour with them earlier in the trip and we LOVED Dylan and the tour), except that their location was farther from us.

I highly recommend Dylan's Tour of the city and Muir Woods. Dylan is a super nice and informative guy, the small shuttle bus (13 people max) was comfy and allowed easy access to places, and Dylan took us to places we wouldn't have gone to if we were to do it on our own. The road to Muir Woods is very curvy and there's limited parking. Dylan was able to drop us off by the front entrance. Easy peasy. We were able to see areas of SF easily and quickly and got a history lesson of each area, without having to deal with figuring out how to get there.

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guided bike tour over Golden Gate Bridge

Thanks for the replies.

I will definitely do the bike ride on the Monday for better views & less footbridge traffic. Thanks WhiteDahlia for that info!

I think I might just do the bike ride myself to save a bit of money, but still thinking about that one.

I want to spend time in Sausilito looking around & go to one of TA's recommended restaurants there for lunch then catch the ferry back. Any suggestions?

I would also like to bike around Golden Gate Park seeing that it's so big.

Is it easy to get to from where the ferry drops me off or do you think this would be too much to do in the one day?

I am 53 years old. Not super fit but also not overweight or unfit :)

I think I might do Dylan's Famous tour on the Saturday & come back into the city with them & get dropped off at Lombard Street.

Does that sound ok? But then again I would be visiting Sausilito twice. Any other city tour company suggestions?

So many decisions to make & then I have to plan my itinerary for New York LOL!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,949 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guided bike tour over Golden Gate Bridge

Poggio never disappoints at Sausalito.

Biking to GG Park requires going up a rather big hill. You are better off returning the bike and take the bus there. You can rent another bike at the park if you want to ride.

Ipswich, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guided bike tour over Golden Gate Bridge

Great advice in this regard. Thank you. Local knowledge is gold. We would never have known that information about the lanes used!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guided bike tour over Golden Gate Bridge

Here's a Traveler Article with lots of info on the GG Bridge bike ride. There is another secret in there about getting from the north side of the bridge to Sausalito that isn't the way the bike rental companies steer you and which is quieter and more scenic (does add one additional hill): tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c134705/San-Fr…

Blondie: I'm not sure that a bike tour is going to provide you much. One of the great things about doing the bike ride is being able to go at your pace. Stop for photos when you want. Detour over to the Palace of Fine Arts if you like. Or Not. Stop at the Warming Hut for a coffee. Or Not. It's a straightforward path and there are lots of others so it's practically impossible to get lost.

I like Poggio but I'm not sure it's a place I'd go by myself. There is a casual burger place but I haven't been there. Le Garage might suit and it has an outdoor patio: www.legaragebistrosausalito.com/home.html Or perhaps Bar Bocce: http://www.barbocce.com/

I don't believe Dylan's tours Sausalito, just does a drop off for those wanting to take the ferry back. So if you ride back to SF you won't have seen much of Sausalito.

From the ferry drop off to GG Park is a bit of a long way. Because the best way to get there by bike would be to retrace the ride you already did to the Presidio and then cross the city. Going through downtown on a bike is NOT recommended for novices. Too much car and pedestrian traffic. And you would need to know where the bike route was and even then it's a hairy ride.

There are bike rentals in the Park so best to get yourself out there by Muni and then get a bike to explore the Park. Which is a good idea because the Park is very large. (Larger then NYC's Central Park.)

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guided bike tour over Golden Gate Bridge

Son and his GF did the bridge through Dylan's and didn't need a guide but they did an early morning ride. It was crowded as it was last week but they made it with no trouble. Took bikes back to Dylan's via the Ferry.

Poggio's is great for lunch we ate there last year, this year we ate at Venice Gourmet on the 4th and they have really great sandwiches and salads. We sat outside with a fantastic view of bay.

Enjoy!