We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Union Station

Ontario
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Union Station

Am trying to figure out which hotel to choose. Will be travelling in early August with husband and 13 year old son. Have narrowed it down to Westin St Francis, Marriott Marquis or the Grand Hyatt. Not sure if one is more centrally located or one is "better" than another. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,657 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Union Station

I think you meant Union Square. : )

I would rate the St Francis and Hyatt being more central. The Marquis is on the other side of Market and more geared to convention folks but still fine if there are other reasons (like a major cost difference). There are also some room difference with the St Francis will older vs new rooms.

Ontario
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Union Station

Thanks for correction!!

As for the Westin I believe the Tower rooms have been recently re-done...so would try and stay in that section.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Union Station

My choice would be the St Francis tower rooms. This hotel has a lot going for it as well with the history of the place and the location is the best but only just a little better than the Grand Hyatt.

The Grand Hyatt is also a very good property and also has recently undergone a full room refurbishment.

The Marriott Marquis is not as good with location as chinita pointed out and definitely is more of a business hotel.

St Francis for me.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,048 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Union Station

I would stay in a tower room of the St. Francis (I hate having to call it "Westin" because it has been the venerable St. Francis for so many years, but I will maybe accept "Westin St. Francis".) Anyway. ask for a high room to get a good view.

On the other hand the Grand Hyatt was redone just last year and its high floor rooms also have good views. I think you would be happy at either one. Both of these look out on Union SQUARE.

www.aviewoncities.com/sf/unionsquare.htm

Edited: 08 July 2014, 01:00
Ontario
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Union Station

Thanks for all your suggestions!

6. Re: Hotel in Union Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 22:16