We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco Federal Building Area suggestions??!?!

Linwood
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco Federal Building Area suggestions??!?!

We are looking into planning a week long business meeting in the San Francisco federal building (90 7th Street). Most of the attendees would be coming from other countries (Asian and south Pacific) and will likely not have cars.

I am from the east coast and am not familiar with the neighborhoods in the SF federal building are - it looks like the corner of Mission and 7th streets on google maps).

Is this building in a safe area? Any suggestions for good hotels for our visitors - if possible within walking distance to the federal building? Is the Union Square area walkable ? I noticed many of the more common hotel brands (Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, etc) are in Union Square. Some of the more adventurous folks might use public transportation or just grab a cab, I am wondering if it is a safe area for walking to and from. I am sure the meeting attendees would also like to see some of the SF sites - so the suggested hotels should be somewhat convenient to both the meeting location and some of the common tourist sites.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,088 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco Federal Building Area suggestions??!?!

Well that part of SF is NOT repeat NOT tourist friendly especially after sunset . That are up to the civic center is also not one we would suggest foks hang out in -- again after dark

No issues walking around there during the day. Will there be pan handlers around ? Yes

The brand hotels are in Union Square and yes it is ok to walk there during the day and walk back home in the evening. Suggestion for good hotels. Well Union Square hotels are good. Hotels closest would be the Intercontinental on Mission and 5th or the Regis further East or the Four Seasons. but for most the later would be over their budget. So do look at Union Square hotels.

Did you check the top questions - info on where to stay in SF.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 22:15
LA
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco Federal Building Area suggestions??!?!

Yeah. Stay away from Civic Center.

Union Square a much better choice

Linwood
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco Federal Building Area suggestions??!?!

wow - thanks ... we may rethink this location as we are planning this for December 2014. Sunset here on the east coast is earlier at that time of year, I am sure it is similar in SF.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco Federal Building Area suggestions??!?!

I wouldn't want to walk around there after sunset - so depending on the time of year your meeting takes place...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco Federal Building Area suggestions??!?!

Interesting. When I saw your title, I thought you were having your meeting in the Old Federal Reserve Building. www.sfbar.org/about/meeting_facilities.aspx

The Old Federal Reserve Building IS in a better location.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco Federal Building Area suggestions??!?!

You don't need to walk from Union Square. Take any bus on Market or underground from Powell St. one station to Civic Center.

But the area around the Federal Building isn't very nice.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,586 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco Federal Building Area suggestions??!?!

** “…we may rethink this location” **

Do you mean rethink the location of the meetings? If you have a choice of Federal buildings, there is another major one in San Francisco, at 450 Golden Gate Avenue. The location is not any better; it is right in the middle of the Tenderloin.

I see no problem having the meetings at 7th Street, except to advise the attendees in advance that the area has issues with homeless/street people, some with mental illnesses; panhandling, sidewalk peeing and such, intoxication, and maybe some petty opportunistic crime.

Almost no locals will recommend staying in hotels anywhere on Market, Mission, or Howard streets anywhere west of 5th through about 11th, or on any of those numbered streets, even at corporate hotels like Holiday Inn, Best Western, or Rodeway. It's unfortunate that we have to steer folks away from decent brand names, but the locations are not visitor-friendly, especially for international visitors who may be unfamiliar with San Francisco or our urban etiquette, or may have communication barriers that increase their vulnerability or just their uneasiness.

If attendees insist on staying nearby for "convenience" or "economy," they will pay the price in not having a wide choice of nice restaurants or other services, no real sightseeing options for after hours where they could comfortably walk to and from, and likely not feeling at ease taking evening strolls around the neighborhood.

Linwood
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco Federal Building Area suggestions??!?!

Thank you all for the information .... it has been really helpful. What I meant by "we may rethink this location" is that we may decide to hold the meeting somewhere else in SF. The federal building would have been ideal in terms of costs. I had looked into the other federal building on Golden Gate - it is good to know that location is bad as well. We have about 25 people coming in for this meeting in December there is still time to look into alternative venues..... thanks :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,088 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco Federal Building Area suggestions??!?!

if you contact the SF travel and convention bureau, they can help you find a place or at least give you a list of places. Every major hotel in SF has room for a meeting for the number of people you have so you should not have a problem finding a different place. you may be able to get a better deal and a rate on hotel rooms -- 25 people is not that many to get a great deal but why not try

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,586 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco Federal Building Area suggestions??!?!

I like belo's idea of looking into hotels where you could have the meetings and also house the people. Shop around, then ask us about locations, because some hotels get tricky with neighborhood names. "Union Square West," for instance, sometimes means right next to the Tenderloin. But TBH, most business-class hotels even in the TL fringe area (i.e. a block or two west of Union Square plaza and O'Farrell northward) are going to be better than putting your folks at 7th and Mission.

Is this a meeting of government employees from other countries on official business, or is it sponsored by a government agency?

If so, maybe your hosts or sponsors could help you find another place. There are other smaller Federal office complexes in San Francisco, and with only about 25 people, perhaps they can find space in one of them. Let them know you are looking for a centralized location with good public transit where your international guests will be comfortable.