We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel central to SF, Muir Woods, Saucilito

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel central to SF, Muir Woods, Saucilito

Hello, have read the top 10 Q&A but still looking for advice on a family (fits 4) hotel under $200 where we can tour San Francisco sites. Muir Woods and Saucilito before flying out of SFO. Right now I have received recos of Belmont but am looking for that 'quaint' small town place as a central point. Thanks for your help!

Dylan's Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours
Streets of San Francisco Bike Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
Redding, California
Level Contributor
2,983 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel central to SF, Muir Woods, Saucilito

Since you will have to drive/travel out of SF to get to Sausalito and Muir Woods, pick a place that is central or close to the things you want to see in SF.

How are you going to get around?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel central to SF, Muir Woods, Saucilito

BELMONT??!! That's south of the city near the airport. Certainly not central to what you want to see.

Muir Woods can be seen with a combined city tour via Dylan's. That tour also has the option of being dropped off in Sausalito to take the ferry back. Or many people rent bikes at Fisherman's Wharf and cycle across the bridge to Sausalito and ferry back.

Stay in the city. Probably Union Square.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel central to SF, Muir Woods, Saucilito

Hi - we'll have a rental car.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,341 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel central to SF, Muir Woods, Saucilito

My daughter lived in Belmont for a while and I would not stay there to tour sights in the city of San Francisco or to go to Muir Woods and Sausalito which are north of the city.

There are motels on Lombard Street where you can stay with your family and keep your car.

Then you can get around inside the city to sights without the car and only use it if you don't want to take a tour to Muir Woods.

You might rethink having the car in the city altogether .

IF I was interested in visiting the sights in Chicago would you tell me to stay in Glenview??

Probably not unless I was visiting relatives there( which I do have)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel central to SF, Muir Woods, Saucilito

Drop the car if you can.

If you want to see SF sights you don't want to be outside the city and commute in.

If you can't drop the car, then the Lombard motor inns makes the more sense (or perhaps the Columbus Motor Inn on the edge of Fisherman's Wharf). Try the Cow Hollow, Coventry or Chelsea.

What is your budget per night?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel central to SF, Muir Woods, Saucilito

Yikes you guys sure get feisty. My budget is in the original post $200 or less ) and we were suggested BELMONT because my nephew will be attending school a few miles from there and my sister will be staying there.

Yes I do realize parking is expensive and that it's best to leave a car behind but we only planned to see downtown SF one of the 3 days and drive ourselves to the other site rather than paying costly tours for 4 people.

Thanks for those that left feedback. And yes I would never stay in Glenview ...!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,341 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel central to SF, Muir Woods, Saucilito

Funny, so you are staying there because of relatives.

That would have been good information to know in the first post.

Glad you agree that Glenview instead of Chicago itself would not be a good idea!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,229 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel central to SF, Muir Woods, Saucilito

So what is your question again Do you need to be near Belmont or the other three places ?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel central to SF, Muir Woods, Saucilito

Feisty? Sorry, but you left out some very important information in your post:

1) that you had relatives in Belmont

2) that you only plan on being in SF one day

3) that you didn't want to take "costly" tours.

So let's review the situation. Stay in Belmont. Either take CalTrain or BART into the city. Tell us what you want to see or review the Traveler Article about getting about town on Muni.

Good luck and have fun.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,693 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel central to SF, Muir Woods, Saucilito

am looking for that 'quaint' small town place as a central point.

----------

That would not be Belmont.