We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF on the fly!

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BELTON
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
SF on the fly!

We are traveling to SF in September to get married at City Hall. Finally after 36 years together we are making it legal. We are flying in in the early morning, getting hitched at 1200 & only have the rest of that day to see SF as we have to fly out early the next morning. Neither of us has ever been there so totally new experience. We already have a hotel booked for that night near SFO but would love recommendations for what would be the best use of our time that afternoon. I really wanted to do the VW tour thing but it is not offered that day. I know the public transportation is very good but I am nervous about it since I have never used any form of it. Please grace me with your knowledge of any & all things SF! Thanks so much!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SF on the fly!

Congrats.

Why grace you with "...any & all things SF..." if you're only going to be there for a couple hours?? Why not just name 1 or 2 activities that you would like to do such as a museum, nature, architecture, food, people, etc..

Why are you coming out to SF anyways? Why not get married in Belton and come to SF when you can take the time to visit??

Redding, California
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SF on the fly!

City Hall is an incredibly beautiful place to get married. However, it's in a less-pretty area, so once you're legal, head away from there.

Guide to Muni:

http://www.sfmta.com/

Guide to BART (which you'll probably want to use to get to SF from hotel):

https://www.bart.gov/

Suggestions: head to the Marina to walk peacefully and watch people flying kites. Or to Golden Gate Park and row a boat on Stow Lake. Walk through Chinatown and have Szechuan. Go to Union Square and shop.

Congratulations!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,458 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SF on the fly!

Congrats! But we could literally fill a book on what to see and do in SF, and the "best of" rather depends on your interests. We could regale you with details of a great Asian art museum, but if that thought puts you to sleep, we've wasted everyone's time. So do you want to do a highlights tour? Try Dylan's or Great Pacific (they may even be able to pick you up at City Hall). Do you want to do something romantic -- maybe get your photos taken at the Golden Gate Bridge? Celebrate with champagne at the Top of the Mark? Walk through the Conservatory of Flowers at Golden Gate Park, then rent a paddle boat on Stow Lake?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SF on the fly!

Is this Belton, MO, SC, or TX?? Just curious.

In any event it does seem like quite a ways to come for an overnight. But if you must, don't spend your first night of wedded bliss at a nameless, faceless airport hotel. I don't care HOW early your flight is in the morning. Just hop in a cab and head to the airport in the morning -- it's a quick drive early in the morning.

Wedding night at an airport hotel = bad karma.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SF on the fly!

No bad karma! You need to stay in San Francisco that night, screw the budget. Please be aware that they are doing runway construction at SFO. There may be a possibility that your flight is delayed. I'll let the experts chime in on this one. There was a recent thread of someone who also was getting married at City Hall and they decided to do a limo ride afterwords for a couple of hours. You may want to search that to get some ideas. Congrats!

United States
Level Contributor
6,292 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SF on the fly!

I agree with SFSusan, in that you need to have a picture taken with the GG Bridge in the background. If you are making such an effort to go to SF to get married, you should have something to remember it by.

And I also agree with Rachel, you need to stay in SF that night. You may have been together 36 years, but getting married is an event. Stay in a nice hotel in SF, not by the airport.

It's none of our business if Belton is in SC, MO, or TX, just CONGRATULATIONS!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SF on the fly!

Actually, doughnut, it was my idea that the OP stay in the SF. Rachel seconded my idea.

Now, I suppose that will change your mind.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,288 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SF on the fly!

I third White D's suggestion about staying in San Francisco . In fact you may find a honeymoon package at one of the hotels in SF that may be kinda neat. I agree with Rachel's suggestion about renting a limo as well if you can do that even for three four hours instead of getting on MUNI after the ceremony.

Would you like suggestions on a restaurant in SF. I'm sure we can suggest one for lunch close by in the Hayes Valley area and then for dinner close to your hotel

Even if your flight is early, it won't take more than 20-25 minutes early Am to zip on our lovely SF cab to SFO.

The SF regulars would love to help you plan a wonderful day in SF

Where is Belton by the way ?

Edited: 18 July 2014, 00:58
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,829 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SF on the fly!

Looking at the OP's profile, I'll guess it's Belton, Texas. Yee Haw!!

san francisco
Level Contributor
101 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SF on the fly!

there is a Belton in Arkansas also