We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need car rental before and after SF

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, England
Level Contributor
52 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Need car rental before and after SF

Hi

I'm hoping to visit CA with my family next July. Due to various complications, it looks like we need to fly into SFO, go down to Monterey with a hire car, then come back a few days later to stay in SF for three or four nights, then use hire car for rest of our trip. We wouldn't want to use a car in the city and I know parking is very expensive. Any ideas if this is workable, do hire firms allow drop off/collection at different sites I.e. Collection at the airport, drop off somewhere convenient on way into city, and vice versa? Any suggestions for location and whether this would be much more expensive than a straight two week hire? We will probably stay in Fisherman's Wharf and would not need a large car, there are four of us. Have tried asking a rental co. But no reply as yet. Thanks :)

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,273 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need car rental before and after SF

Yes, you can easily rent (what we say for "hire") a car in one location and return in another. There may be fees involved, but if you book through many international sites (carhire3000 is one), they waive the drop fees plus include all the various insurances you should have. I would still compare the cost of a single car hire plus parking at your hotel (figure around $50/night) to the two separate hires, just in case some long-term pricing gives you a substantial price break.

Most major car rental companies have locations near Fisherman's Wharf. Be sure to sign up for their frequent-renter program for faster service on the day. You'll have to make sure there is a location equally convenient for return at the end of your final trip.

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
52 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need car rental before and after SF

Thank you very much indeed, will follow your advice.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,112 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need car rental before and after SF

Agree with Susan. Did you miss the top question about renting a car and info about rental cars in the top question? A must read IMHO

4. Re: Need car rental before and after SF

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 06:15