We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation Options between SF & Bodega Bay

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
31 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation Options between SF & Bodega Bay

Greetings! I have group that is comprised of 2 families who'll be staying at an RV Park in Bodega Bay for about a week. We have reservations for the Alcatraz night tour on Monday, 11 Aug & we're planning on spending all day in the city (mainly around the Fisherman's Wharf area) prior to.

All in all we could have up to 10 people total (ages: teens & up). Both of our RV vehicles are 1-ton pickup trucks so taking them into the city is off the table. We're thinking about the following options & would like some opinions to help decide what makes the most sense:

- 1 rental van or 2 rental cars

- Some sort of shuttle, limo, or other private hired coach service

- Some mix of of public transportation options (Note: We're not crazy about this given bad experience on the light rail last time we were there, but will consider it if it really makes the most sense).

Thanks!!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,434 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation Options between SF & Bodega Bay

forget public transport. There is no reasonable public transport from Bodega bay to SF-- no light rail. Well if you had a bad experience on the MUNI -- ok -- in my dozens of trips to vegas, I've had a bad experience on the strip -- does not mean I should not go on the strip does it ?

Renting vans or 2 cars is your best option. I think coach service etc with driver will be expensive. The larger vans are hard to park and also prohibited in some parts of SF. With 2 cars you can drive around most of the city as taking public transport will be expensive.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
31 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation Options between SF & Bodega Bay

Understand your point about the negative light rail experience however, it's not me, it's my wife that got freaked out/tick'd off. When mama gets something in her head, forget it. lol. Not a complete no-go option but I'd have to 'sell it' to her with a good argument.

What about some sort of combo where we'dd rive the big trucks to some point closer to the city then Ferry, BART, or MUNI in?

Just talking out loud as I'm not even sure we can rent cars in Bodega Bay (hard time so far finding anything).

Thanks!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation Options between SF & Bodega Bay

Marin Transit has a route that goes to Inverness which would take you to San Rafael. From there you could probably rent cars or take Golden Gate Transit to the city.

Check the Stage Coach Route: http://www.marintransit.org/

If this doesn't work for timing or other problems then you possibly could drive to and park in San Rafael -- depending on the length, width and height of your RVs.

Edited: 20 July 2014, 19:02
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,217 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation Options between SF & Bodega Bay

Drive the RV to Sausalito and take the ferry in? I don't know about parking your RV at the ferry parking lot though.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,182 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation Options between SF & Bodega Bay

This is a day trip into San Francisco from Bodega Bay and you are not spending the night in SF, right? What time are you doing the return to Bodega Bay? Conceivably maybe you can drive your big trucks to close to where the Golden Gate Transit bus serves (and they go to San Francisco downtown), and take a bus into SF.

You may need to plan it carefully as these buses do not run too frequently. There is no BART serving the Marin County. Ferries (e.g. from Sausalito) close early I think.

Golden Gate Transit (e.g. route 70, 80)

goldengatetransit.org/schedules/current/

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
31 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation Options between SF & Bodega Bay

Update: The part of our rigs that makes them RVs is 5-Wheel trailers. Those will remain in a Bodega Bay campground while we're in the area for a week or so. Both of our tow vehicles are large 4wd 1-ton pickup trucks with one being a dually. These trucks are 20' in length so they're way too much vehicle to try to find parking for in the city.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
31 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation Options between SF & Bodega Bay

Right, no OVN in SF. Will be heading back to Bodega after we're done with the Alcatraz night tour.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
233 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation Options between SF & Bodega Bay

I'd drive your trucks to Petaluma and rent a couple of sedans from Hertz there. The Hertz agency is right off US 101 on Petaluma Blvd. North and I'm pretty sure you can find parking on the road for the trucks. I'd give them a call to check about the parking situation.

https:/…results

Taking a combination of public transit and a private vehicle from Bodega Bay to San Francisco and back will just be exhausting and frustrating, not to mention not cost effective once you figure out the round trip fares for 10 people. Even with paying for parking in the Fisherman's Wharf area, I think you'll come out OK with the rental cars.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,739 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation Options between SF & Bodega Bay

Thinking out loud with you...

You have a few good options but just saw you will be doing the night tour. That may impact the car rental options as not sure if most or any suburb offices will be opened that late for return. I might just bit the bullet and find an open air lot along the waterfront in SF to fit your large SUVs. Folks with actual motohomes park in these lots. There are a number of those and I would expect to pay $40-50 per car for the day. I think there's one on Bay and the Embarcadero.

Edited: 20 July 2014, 21:00
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,959 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation Options between SF & Bodega Bay

Hi Rich807, fellow 5th wheeler here. For non-RVers, they often think that RV means only "big motorhome" ;-)

One thought I had. There is an RV park on the north side of Golden Gate, called Marin RV park. I know you're staying in Bodega Bay - Porto Bodega Marina? - but Marin RV park might be willing to let you park the pickups there for the day for a reasonable fee. Then take a bus or the ferry. Would be worth checking with them:

www.marinrvpark.com/campground/index.php

-

Are you continuing north on Hwy 1?

-

>> fit your large SUVs <<

These are pickup trucks, chinita, not SUVs :-) Example:

http://tinyurl.com/p5tr2oq