We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seating for Beach Blanket Babylon

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
608 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Seating for Beach Blanket Babylon

Which section provides the best seats? We will be buying full price not Goldstar

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seating for Beach Blanket Babylon

The page at

beachblanketbabylon.com/when/floorplan.shtml has a chart that shows the sections and you can click a section to see an example photo view of the stage from that section.

I'd guess that the center towards the front of the various sections will be most popular. Of course prices will vary between sections, also.

I'm not sure of exact seating recommendations, since it's an activity I haven't done yet. Perhaps someone with more first hand experience can chime in.

At most of the small theaters I've been to in San Francisco the views of the stage have been fine for my standards even in less expensive seats. I do sometimes have leg room problems in some theaters with row spacing that seems built for someone of about 5'3" height. But I'm not sure about club fugazi.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seating for Beach Blanket Babylon

Club Fugazi has cabaret seating on the main floor. Which means a flat floor with table and chairs. And bar service (whoopppeee!).

You buy tickets for a section. That doesn't assign you a seat. So as you arrive you will be lead to the section you have tickets for and provided seats. The earlier you arrive, the better the seats in that section you'll get.

We always get Rear Cabaret and then get in line as early as we can and get seats in the first row behind Front Cabaret. That's about as good as it gets IMO. Once we had Front Cabaret seats and were almost too close. You can also get stuck right in front of the band with those seats (and there's a lot of brass in that band -- Ouch!).

If you really want to drop some dough get the First Balcony (not sure if that's what it's called) or the Cyril Magnin box.

Don't even think of any other sections.

(holodan ... never been to BBB??!! You must remedy that ASAP!)

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,178 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seating for Beach Blanket Babylon

I prefer the balcony to the floor.

I must admit the time on the main floor we did not arrive early and didn't have good seating but really liked the reserved balcony seats next time around.

You can reserve the seats, they are comfortable and enjoy a bottle of wine watching the show.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seating for Beach Blanket Babylon

Everyone has their favorite place to sit. We like to sit about 1/4 back from the stage on the floor and just off to the side out of the lights. That way we can watch the show and the reactions on the faces of the audience.

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
115 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seating for Beach Blanket Babylon

I was there just last week. I sat in the balcony, 1st row of the center box seats ($70 tickets), just off the aisle. I figured since I might only go to SF once and see the show, I might as well go all out. Loved the show and the seats. Just a caution/reminder- if you are traveling with people under 21 years old, you can only go to the Sunday shows. This is written on the web page, but you want to make sure you don't miss that. Enjoy.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seating for Beach Blanket Babylon

We've been three times but not for awhile. Best advice (knowing about the cabaret seating arrangement, which reminds me of some of the theaters in Disneyland) is get there very early. Be the first in line, to choose your seat. It's fun to talk to others in line.

PS: Reading mama's post above, if they have reserved seats now, ignore what I said but the last time we went, it was "pick your own seat" in the section you paid for. We were in the middle of the first floor. First come first served. Has it changed in the last few years?

Edited: 21 July 2014, 05:48
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seating for Beach Blanket Babylon

Enjoy the show. It sounds like a blast. It's one of those things I've always meant to do, but always thought I could do at any time so never got around to doing yet. :-)

Edited: 21 July 2014, 15:00
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seating for Beach Blanket Babylon

MarlySF ... With regards to the seating, I don't think it's changed. Perhaps upstairs has reserved seats but not the Cabaret Floor. I last went about a year ago. We usually try to go to the Christmas show at least every other year but haven't been in 3-4 years. I agree with getting there early but it's not usually a bad wait -- 30 minutes or so and everyone is in a jovial mood.

One year we waited too long for tickets and ended up in the Rear Balcony which we hated and swore we'd never do again.

I've been going since the 1970's (eeek, that certainly dates me) and it's always incredibly clever and current. This is its 40th anniversary. As part of the celebration, there were a couple of the costumes (with huge hats) on display in the lobby of the de Young. (I was there last week but can't recall if they're still there.)

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,273 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seating for Beach Blanket Babylon

>>We always get Rear Cabaret and then get in line as early as we can and get seats in the first row behind Front Cabaret.<<

I completely agree. This way you have a little leg room and are not looking straight up at the stage. Next best (but more expensive) is picking the LAST row of Front Cabaret.

Cabaret style, by the way, means you are seated at small, shared cocktail tables. This is not traditional theatre-style seating, but more like a night club. Hence the sale of alcohol and the ban on anyone under 21 except at the Sunday shows.

Australia
Level Contributor
608 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seating for Beach Blanket Babylon

Thanks everyone!