We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Care Hire - Ford Mustang "or similar"

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Care Hire - Ford Mustang "or similar"

Hi all,

I am planning on travelling from NYC, San Fran, la and Vegas with my girlfriend in May next year & we are planning on hiring a car from San Fran airport and driving to la and then to Vegas over our three week trip.

I have read through a number of reviews regarding the rental of Mustangs or similar and they all seem to be negative and people mentioning not getting a mustang or even anything remotely similar. Just wondered if anyone has had a positive experience with any car hire companies at San Fran airport that will guarantee us a convertible? Also, all of the reviews I've seen seem to be very dated e.g. 2011/12.

Any advice with me more than appreciated!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Care Hire - Ford Mustang "or similar"

If you want to be guaranteed a Mustang then you have to go through one of the special "collections" the car rental companies have. Always costs more but you can reserve the exact model you want.

https:/… Reservable Models

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,665 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Care Hire - Ford Mustang "or similar"

Your best bet is to rent at SFO from a company such as Hertz or Avis which says rent this exact model and then the is a very very small chance that you won't get that model. Otherwise you may get a Mustang or similar. Compared to the rush for cars in Summer, perhaps in May you may (pun intended) not have issues when you rent the exact model. Asking someone if they had a good or bad experience in renting a Mustang does not guarantee that you will get one. Booking the exact car means you may very likely get one.

Do sign up for the frequent renter program of the company you rent from and do rent from the UK website once you leave SF (no car needed in SF -- the abbreviation for San Francisco)

Also you do want to check the trunk space of the car and make sure your bags fit in there. The last thing we recommend is for folks to put stuff in the back seat to attract "folks"

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Care Hire - Ford Mustang "or similar"

I rented a Mustang convertible somewhere downtown. No problem. In fact, when they gave me a black one at the rental place, I asked for a red one instead & they gave me one.

I'm trying to find the name and address of the place...check back soon...

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Care Hire - Ford Mustang "or similar"

That would be great, thanks

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Care Hire - Ford Mustang "or similar"

You might want to read the following thread to get all the ins and outs of getting exactly what you want.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k710372…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Care Hire - Ford Mustang "or similar"

Do consider the trunk (boot) space. We rented a Camaro (similar to a Mustang) before and we couldn't even fit our two 'carry-on' suitcases in the trunk. I'm guessing if you're coming from London, you'll have full-sized checked in luggage. You don't want to be leaving these in the back seat of a convertible.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,665 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Care Hire - Ford Mustang "or similar"

If you want to rent a specific model and go with the" rent the specific car" that both WD and I suggest , I would still do it at the airport. Chances of not getting the car are less at SFO than in a smaller location in SF where there are so many finite parking spots for cars

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Care Hire - Ford Mustang "or similar"

I've got a fiver that R_G rented from a local outfit - such as City Rent a Car. They do have specialty cars and get great reviews but as they're local the cars have to be returned here. And the OP is going to Vegas.

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Care Hire - Ford Mustang "or similar"

Avis on Post St.

Mustang had giant trunk.

locations.avis.com/ca/san-francisco/sf1.html

There's a box to uncheck if you are returning the car in a different location.

Pretty sure they have Avis' in Vegas.

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Care Hire - Ford Mustang "or similar"

Be sure to book ahead as far as you can.

And it isn't going to be cheap.

But yes, you can return the car in several different Vegas locations, including the International Airport.