We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best areas to stay in San Francisco

canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best areas to stay in San Francisco

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are looking at staying in San Francisco from August 26 for a week or 10 days. We are both in our early 30's and will not have a vehicle. We like the beach, sitting outside on the patio's having drinks, coffee etc. Would like to see some interesting sites (please let me know what you suggest) I am looking at possibly renting a condo but have no idea what areas I should be looking at. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,009 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best areas to stay in San Francisco

Aha -- I bet you did not check the top questions. please start with those on the right side of this page. There is info on where to rent and also the new issues with rentals. What to do and see in SF, where to eat and much more. Patio drinking coffee well there are a few along the Embarcadero and around the Ferry building. Beach ? Are you sure ? Have you checked the weather in SF ? Beaches in SF are not what you see in movies -- that is in SoCal. I think you are mixing LA with SF. Time to get a good guide book and read

TA works well when folks do some research and come with sample itineraries and ideas that we can help refine

canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best areas to stay in San Francisco

Belomiser - I'm not confusing San Fran with LA. I live in Calgary we have no ocean!! Weather is supposed to be nice the end of August/September. I was looking at renting a condo and was just hoping someone could tell me names of areas in San Fran that are nice and close to some scenery, close to places to relax on a patio and enjoy the weather etc. I'm looking at Condos' but have no idea if they are in a good area or not, I thought this is what a forum was for. Sorry I dont have everything mapped out yet but cant really do that until I know where to stay!

Is there anyone else that can throw out some names of Areas in San Fran that they recommend staying.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best areas to stay in San Francisco

Belo has pointed you to the best information. Please read the top questions to the right and it will give you an overview of neighborhoods. Without knowing your personal taste. It's hard for us to make suggestions. There is a wealth of information regarding the most commonly asked questions. As for the beach, SF is not known for lying out on the beach. In August it maybe 40s or 50s at the beach and I'm talking Fahrenheit not Celsius.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best areas to stay in San Francisco

Cole Valley

The Embarcadero

The Marina

Chinatown

North Beach

The Richmond

Union Square

Inner Sunset

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
39,568 posts
1,135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best areas to stay in San Francisco

Jaime,

Also, before you rent a condo, apartment, etc., be sure to see this, also from the Top Questions section: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k745258…

Short-term rentals have some extra considerations in the SF area.

Good luck,

Hunt

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best areas to stay in San Francisco

Belo was right to correct your assumption that SF has beach weather ever. The "official" temp is taken downtown somewhere where it's going to be 5-10F higher than the bayside and ocean. Perhaps there are a handful of days when one can sit out along the Bay at Crissy Field and really feel warm.

There are a number of restaurants that have patios but that's because they have heaters as well.

The neighborhood listing given by bayatuning is a good one. There are more details about these -- and their locations with respect to transit -- in the TQs. But do read about the political situation as well. We have heard of several AirBnB locations which have been removed from the market this summer.

sf
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best areas to stay in San Francisco

Surfs UP!

OOPS I thought we were watching Baywatch! SF is not a beach city, it does have a Bay and the Pacific Ocean but in August you still might not see anything but Fog if you are out by the water. If you can rent a place in MIssion Bay or SOMA, or MIssion District you might have enough sun for a deck.

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best areas to stay in San Francisco

jaime, don't take it personally, this forum is the roughest corner of TripAdvisor I've ever encountered. Some of the regulars get annoyed if you aren't already fairly well-informed about their fair city. The prevailing attitude is unfortunate. Personally, I got tired of being scolded by a few people for not doing enough homework before asking questions here (I thought coming here WAS doing my homework), or for ... gasp! ... desiring to see and do touristy things of little interest to locals.

I'll be there 16 days from now. Toting my TripAdvisor Destination Expert backpack, wearing shorts, staying at my Fisherman's Wharf hotel, basically embodying the déclassé tourist some of them seem to revile.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 01:52
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,009 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best areas to stay in San Francisco

CleveRocks All you do is troll this forum since you started posting here. Yes coming to TA is doing homework and we take the time to update and keep the Top Questions relevant and we suggest folks start there read the basics and come back with specific questions. Your post as usual did not provide any relevant info to the the OP, you want to start the good cop bad cop nonsense here. If you have anything of value to add please do so, Go ahead and please do what you want and advertise whatever you want to curry favors from the places to show them your DE status. Just so you know DEs are just members here with no special powers or special rights and TA is a place to express our opinions and it is ok for folks to say what they want about touristy areas just as it is ok for you a member to stay where you want.

Jaime -- we are happy to help if you look at the various areas mentioned in the Top Questions under vacation rentals. Please post the link or the exact address and we can help you. As far as interesting sites, hard to suggest without knowing what interests you. We have seen folks come to SF and then feel that they got duped wrt beach weather and instead of going to LA they ended up in cool to cold SF beach weather.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 02:23
Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best areas to stay in San Francisco

Wow. My introduction to this forum was condescending and disapproving comments because I thought Highway 1 and Pacific Coast Highway were synonyms, and because I didn't already know about San Francisco's numerous microclimates. It stopped me from asking further questions. I stop by here every day to read, in hopes of gleaning knowledge for my upcoming trip. Earlier, in this thread, I was actually trying to help the OP not feel alienated here (as I have become) by trying to make sure she didn't take it personally, so she didn't feel she did anything wrong. I may have done it ham-handedly, and I apologize for that, but my intentions were good.

When I return from my brief but I'm sure enjoyable visit to the San Francisco area, I look forward to sharing information, if I'm equipped to do so, from the perspective of a tourist.

Peace.