We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it Weather for Shorts and T shirts?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,607 posts
264 reviews
Save Topic
Is it Weather for Shorts and T shirts?

We are coming to SFO this Saturday for a week but we are wondering if we need a light sweater or a heavier jacket for the mornings? Is it also shorts/tshirts weather?

Your help is very much appreciated...

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,062 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it Weather for Shorts and T shirts?

San Francisco rarely has shorts and t-shirt weather. You can bring them, but you'll be wishing for long pants and a nice warm fleecy jacket once the winds kick up and the fog rolls in.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 16:16
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it Weather for Shorts and T shirts?

Cliu, you've been here before, right?

We haven't seen the sun for quite a few days (at least west of Fillmore Street). And it's been drippy foggy (even at mid-day in GG Park yesterday) and breeze even at mid-day.

Not heavy jacket weather but not T shirts either.

I haven't checked the extended forecast however. It's 60F right now at 8:20am.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,866 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it Weather for Shorts and T shirts?

It depends where you are in the city. Our son and his family live in the mission! and it was warm and sunny when we were there ten days ago.. Definitely shorts weather there. But you see the fog over the city, and the downtown area might well call for a light jacket.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 16:20
vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,607 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it Weather for Shorts and T shirts?

WhiteDahlia and Kibbles09....yes, i was in your beautiful city last year but I just can't remember at all what I wore and what the weather was like....lol....better not be old age at 56!

Thanks to you both so I better bring long pants and a jacket just to be on the safe side...

With appreciation....cliu ; )

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it Weather for Shorts and T shirts?

It was chilly in my neighborhood yesterday. If you like goose bumps then bring only shorts and t-shirts.

Yes, it might get warm enough to wear them for a little while. Some parts of town and times of day are warmer than others.

There was a day last week (or was it the week before) where it was actually kind of hot and muggy in Oakland where I work when I went outside at lunch time. To put this in perspective, it was probably the only day that felt so warm that in a month or two. And Oakland is a few degrees warmer than many parts of San Francisco usually are.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it Weather for Shorts and T shirts?

I never wear shorts here. Even when it's warm (and many people are), you turn the corner and the wind hits you ... brrr! Or it will be warm on the sunny side of the street and a lot chillier on the shady side. Then the fog rolls in and the sun goes down and it cools down quickly.

PP mentioned being in the Mission, which is definitely one of the warmer neighborhoods. But if you're out around the waterfront it can easily be 10+F colder.

I was just reading about the Outside Lands festival in the Park this weekend. They reported that the sun came out in the afternoon! Hah! Someone was trippin' because I was getting dripped on sitting outside at the de Young café at 2PM.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it Weather for Shorts and T shirts?

WD it was sunny on Friday! Over the whole area. So it's true there was a sun sighting.

OP if you're going to visit SFO, the weather is usually great. But if you're visiting SF usually in August it's very foggy.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it Weather for Shorts and T shirts?

Friday was shorts and sweatshirt weather. I pushed it on Saturday and ended up going home because it was cold. Definitely not a need to bring multiple pairs of shorts. Maybe one that you might use, but likely won't.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
232 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it Weather for Shorts and T shirts?

We just got home from sf, my gf got chill at night and a few times during the day. I was in a sweatshirt and shorts the entire trip, a few times I had to take my sweatshirt off.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,275 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it Weather for Shorts and T shirts?

One thing to note - you said you are going for a week - if this includes time outside SF itself, you should be prepared for warmer wheather. Napa and Sonoma, for example, can easily be 20 degrees warmer than SF.