We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo via rentalcars.com

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Alamo via rentalcars.com

Hi, I've booked a hire car to collect from Alamo at SFO in mid-October. We will collect the hire car at 11am ish and then head on Highway 1 to Monterey via a lunch stop in Santa Cruz. We have booked the hire car via rental cars.com as it was cheaper than booking direct and included GPS. We have a voucher to show at the counter. I have read about lengthy queues to collect hire cars and I was wondering whether there is any way to speed the collection process up? I have registered for Alamo Insiders but when booking via rental cars.com there was no option to enter my AI membership number.

Also would we be able to collect the car a bit earlier than 11am if we needed to?

Thanks

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo via rentalcars.com

If they gave you an actual Alamo "reservation confirmation number" then you can go online and fill out some of your information (credit card number etc) making the process quicker on arrival. You could also phone Alamo with your name and date of pickup and they could give you your actual Alamo reservation number as opposed to your rentalcars booking number.

Does your voucher state that both liability insurance and collision damage excess are included? Also don't change or cancel your reservation within 48 hours of pickup time as rentalcars has much stricter cancellation penalties than Alamo does.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,458 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo via rentalcars.com

Since you have to hand a paper voucher you have to get in line at Alamo and my direct conversation with the Alamo suggests that lines are longest during summer from 8-11ish so the later you go the longer your line is

There is info on rental cars and what to check for in the top question on rental cars in the SF forum top questions

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,458 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo via rentalcars.com

By the way when you say SFO do you mean SF or SFO ? Visitors use both acronyms and confuse us

If SFO we cannot predict lines

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo via rentalcars.com

Hi I did mean SFO as in the airport. It looks like liability insurance and CDW are included. Will see if I can check in online via Alamo Insiders.

Many thanks.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,458 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alamo via rentalcars.com

Checkin won't help as you still have to hand over the voucher but it will speed up the counter

If you had booked directly at Alamo.com then the counter could have been bypassed

6. Re: Alamo via rentalcars.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 06:18