We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halloween 2014

Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Halloween 2014

Hi everyone!

We are arriving in San Francisco on 31 Oct. As we are from NZ we are quite excited about what America will be like on Halloween. Can anybody recommend a particular area or place to go to get a good experience? Our group will consist of 2 x people in late 20s, one early 20s and 2 xpeople in their 50s. All like to have fun!

Thank you in advance!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,248 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halloween 2014

Generally Halloween was well is meant for kids to trick or treat -- a way for them to dress up , get to their neighbor's houses and get plenty of candy. There are parades in schools and after school trick or treating There are certain streets which do get decorated and look spooky with lights and carved pumpkins

There are haunted tours around SF. You can look for them and see if you want to do a special haunted or vampire tour

Well parts of SF started having parades et al, especially in the castro but that was closed down. There are balls that do happen in the city. Some on the 31st. others around that time

http://events.sfgate.com/san-francisco-ca/events/halloween+san+francisco

www.sfweekly.com

Edited: 20 August 2014, 13:35
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halloween 2014

You can look at this list of supposedly haunted places to try and creep yourself out …wikipedia.org/wiki/…San_Francisco . Events are probably your best bets since as belomiser says trick or treating and the general traditional events like that are mostly for kids.

Some adults may get invited to parties in people's homes or hold such parties. You may see some people in costume around or when you go to events. My workplace has a costume contest during the day and some workplaces do fun things. But as a visitor your best bet is to find some Halloween themed activities to participate in such as from those event listings.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halloween 2014

Actually in my experience, Halloween is a huge event for adults in SF as we all seem to love a reason to dress up and go for a drink. Pretty much any bar in the city will be packed on Halloween itself and on the weekend closest to the actual date. If you want a concentration of bars close together (though the crowd will be mostly people in their twenties), check out the lower Polk street area. There are also more organized parties that you can purchase tickets to.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,310 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halloween 2014

You might want to spend some time in the Mission, the following day is Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) which has a strong Mexican flavor. It's not so much spooky as it is meant to be a day to convene with relatives and friends who have passed on - celebrating heritage, family, and tradition.

Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Halloween 2014

Thanks for the tips guys :)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halloween 2014

Hello, saw your question and just had to respond. San Francisco is really the best place to be if you want to party on Halloween night. Every bar and club will be packed out with people dressed in costumes. I live about 40 minutes south of the city but my husband, friends and I are planning on heading to SF for Halloween. We are all in our early 30's with no kids. Our only problem is deciding where to go as the possibilities are endless! I usually prefer to stay away from the larger night clubs with their massive crowds and long lines and go for a lively bar or lounge instead. Just depends on the type of crowd you are looking for. Most places will likely have an entrance fee. Be sure to bring costumes! And be prepared to see some weird stuff.

Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halloween 2014

We are also arriving on 10/31. I wanted to go to the food truck thing at Fort Mason. Does anyone know if there is anything special going on there for Halloween? TIA

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,091 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halloween 2014

TexasCoast, I'd check their website as it gets closer to the date to see if they're announcing anything special: http://offthegridsf.com/

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,398 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halloween 2014

Also check their Facebook account. I don't see anything yet listed on the website or FB. But I am sure there will be lots of folks in costumes fueling up before a night of partying. Stay safe everyone. Friday night Halloween is a good and bad thing...

10. Re: Halloween 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2015, 05:16