We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi back to SFO

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi back to SFO

We are planning on grabbing a taxi from SFO to The White Swan and back. We will have too much luggage to bother with the BART. While reading a guidebook today, it said that it is almost impossible to get a taxi in SF and a taxi should be reserved to go back to the airport. Seems odd. Wouldn't the hotel be able to get us a taxi. Also, we are only renting a car for day trips to Napa and Santa Cruz. So, we were also going to use taxis at times for dinner. Is this going to be a problem?

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi back to SFO

You might want to consider Pleasant Limo for the airport transportation. We just returned from San Francisco and went with recommendations on this board and used them. They were wonderful. As soon as we landed at SFO, I received from a text from them. They quickly got us back to the airport for our return flight. As a new customer, I got the introductory rate of $45 for the first trip. For the return to the airport, I paid $57. We also used Uber a couple times in the city and that also worked out well.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi back to SFO

Taxis to and from SFO should not be a problem. Taxi drivers covet the airport runs.

Generally around town can be more of a challenge when it rains and during peak periods. However, there are several options such as Lyft, Sidecar and Uber if you like to use apps and ride with a local.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi back to SFO

Thanks for your reply. Most of the restaurants we will be going to are within walking distance. But, the ones that aren't, how would we best get a taxi around 10 pm, early June? Am I envisioning NYC, where you just hail one down, or does one have to be called for at the restaurant?

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi back to SFO

I will check out Uber. I am not familiar with it.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi back to SFO

It's not like NYC. Depending on the area, you may not be able to just hail one on the street. I would get the phone number of a taxi company and call from the restaurant.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi back to SFO

Ok, thanks, Thanks! Lol!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi back to SFO

It's true that cabs like the airport runs but if you want a nicer experience then either Pleasant or Uber are about the same price.

SF is not like NYC when it comes to cabs.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi back to SFO

Is Uber very popular in SF? I have never used it, but researched it online. There are some not so nice reports of how the drivers have pretty much no background check or licensing, except for their drivers license.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi back to SFO

Uber is very popular and Taxis do not like it. I am a fan of the app ride sharing system. I have never heard a negative comment from anyone in person and one of our hotel staff members drives for Sidecar.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi back to SFO

It appears that California is trying to pass legislation that addresses background checks and insuarnce concerns with tese companies. I will take another look at these options closer to our trip. Thanks again!