We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day solo- don't like shopping & can't do anything TOO fab

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
1 day solo- don't like shopping & can't do anything TOO fab

OK, my dear hubby has all day training for work in SF Tues-Fri. I'm coming into town Thursday afternoon, which gives me all day Friday solo. I LOVE traveling solo, but I have to be careful not to see any "major" sights that day, as we are touring together on Saturday and Sunday. (whoopee... Saturday is by go car... see recent post...) Do you have any suggestions for second-tier sights to check out? I love history, culture, outdoorsy stuff, cooking and food and just roaming around a new city. I don't really care for shopping, unless it is wicked cheap and/or unique. Right now, I'm considering going over to Sausalito (combo of walking/taking MUNI), but am wide open to suggestions! We're staying at the Orchard Hotel, in the 600 block of Bush Street.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day solo- don't like shopping & can't do anything TOO fab

Sausalito could be very nice, but it may be something that he could enjoy with you.

If you like art, check out SF MOMA and the Asian Art Museum. I highly recommend both --the Asian Art Museum especially. I think it is a very different experience and I could spend hours there personally.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day solo- don't like shopping & can't do anything TOO fab

Saks,

As it seem you always do, thanks for the quick reply. We've just got Friday night, Saturday and Sunday to tour around together. Friday night we don't have much planned- he'll be tired from training and we're going to try to get into Plouf's for dinner since it's just a few blocks from our hotel. (his work still picks up part of the tab... score!) Saturday we're doing the Go Car thing and then Sunday morning, we've got tickets for the first Alcatraz trip and then we plan to mosey around the Pier. Therefore, I'm not sure there is time for Sausalito in there... unless you recommend otherwise (Friday or Saturday evening, perhaps?) As for the art museums, this is going to make me sound terribly uncultured, but I'm not a huge fan. While I have great respect for art, I feel intimidated and antsy in museums. I'm more of a live performance kind of girl. Give me Broadway or give me death, ya know?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day solo- don't like shopping & can't do anything TOO fab

How about exploring the Ferry Building, then take the ferry to Sausalito from there. This gives you a little bay cruise at the same time. Easy to get too, and quite pleasant. Since you can't do it together, anyway.......Ferry Building is fun, even if you don't purchase anything.

http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/

goldengateferry.org/schedules/Sausalito.php

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day solo- don't like shopping & can't do anything TOO fab

Since you're not an art museum person and your instinct about Sausalito is a good one. Girasol's suggestion to add the Ferry Building is perfect for the exploring/browsing/ cooking interest kind ot things you seem drawn to, plus, one of the ferries to Sausalito departs from there.

You can walk through Union Square and then straight down Market Street with the Ferry Building dead in your sights (the Ferry Building is at the foot of Market Street). Or you can take the F-line streetcar down Market Street to the Ferry Building.

This would be a distinct separate activity from what you plan with your husband, so you don't have to worry about overlapping.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day solo- don't like shopping & can't do anything TOO fab

Awesome! This sounds like the perfect day trip and will avoid me getting lost or exhausted on a bike. Now... just be difficult... any suggestions for a lunch over in Sauslito?

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day solo- don't like shopping & can't do anything TOO fab

I'm not the expert when it comes to Sausalito and views. I usually take a ferry over and ride my bike around, so I'm usually grabbing what can be eaten on a park bench. :-)

Folks seem to like Horizons and Spinnaker, both of which have the views that you want to see when you come to a place like Sausalito.

The restaurant Fish is also mentioned on other sites, as casual and well-located for those who like to sit outside and drink in the view.

Reading, England
Level Contributor
158 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day solo- don't like shopping & can't do anything TOO fab

If you are getting the ferry to Saualito you could always get one to Angel Island and have a look around there it has a little history and is a good place for a walk.

Also another idea would be to check out Fort Point under the GG Bridge: www.nps.gov/fopo/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day solo- don't like shopping & can't do anything TOO fab

You can pick up a fabulous picnic for yourself at the Ferry Building, then bring it with you to Sausalito and eat it right along the waterfornt there (assuming the weather is nice...)

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day solo- don't like shopping & can't do anything TOO fab

KJinINDY - There are a lot of things to do in the outer sections of the City, too, that most visitors never venture to see. Since you mentioned nature and wandering, you might try going to Mt. Davidson, which is the highest hill in the City. You can take the #36 bus to the bottom of the hill and walk down trails through eucalyptus groves. It feels far away though you are in the center of town. Walk back down southwest

around the Sherwood Forest/Monterey Heights/St Francis Wood neighborhoods and see the mansions with ocean and bay views (there is always a bus nearby to get you back downtown).

Golden Gate Park has so much to see. Lakes, gardens, the buffalo pen...

Since you like theatre, The City has a great variety of large and small theatre companies. You can surely find a show of interest to you (or something you NEVER heard of) for the evening. And food!! This City has many really great and inexpensive neigborhood restuaurants of various ethnicities, I can't imagine how long it would take to sample even a small percentage of the best ones.

Have a great trip.

10. Re: 1 day solo- don't like shopping & can't do anything TOO fab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 14:25