We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!! We are staying 1 night and have NO CLUE!!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help!! We are staying 1 night and have NO CLUE!!

My husband and I are moving from San Diego to Washington..we will only be in SF fro one evening on Sunday the 24th. From the rest of the reviews we will skip the Wharf and probably spend our time at GG Park. We want to take the elevator and see the GG Bridge. I don't know the areas at all!! Should we stay in Union Square?? Can we take a cable car or tram to the park?? We are in our early 30's..love great food, fun dive bars (NO CLUBS), love old things..including buildings, antiques, cars ets.... can anyone help us??? We'd really appreciate your time and thoughts!!

CGould

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Union Square
Union Square
1,842 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!! We are staying 1 night and have NO CLUE!!

based on your other posting about driving to Oregon I am assuming that you will be traveling in a car (or moving truck?). Based on this, you might want to consider staying somewhere with parking. Several people here have recommended the Castle Motor Inn at Polk and Broadway as they offer free parking. Parking at one of the Union Square hotels will cost about $30 extra.

I'm not sure what elevator you are referring to to see the Golden Gate Bridge. If you decide to take the highway 101 option to Oregon you will drive over it as you leave the city. You can also drive over it and then take highway 37 at novato which will take you to highway 80 and then on to highway 5 if you decide on that route.

The cable car goes nowhere near Golden Gate Park but there are plenty of buses and a streetcar line that will take you there but since you wil;l have a car you should drive as parking within the park isn;t that difficult in the evening. I'm not sure what you want to do in the park in the evening as the museum closes at 5pm and it will be dark by 7.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Union Square
Union Square
1,842 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Bridge
41,993 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Park
8,401 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!! We are staying 1 night and have NO CLUE!!

bump-giving you a bump so more people will read your request for information. Good luck.

laguna beach, ca
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!! We are staying 1 night and have NO CLUE!!

For years I have stayed at the Francisco Bay Inn and at the Redwood Inn on Lombard St. (they're directly across the street from each other).

Both are in a nice area, have CLEAN rooms (fridge and micro), helpful staffs (maps, directions, etc. . . .), moderate to low prices (weekends are more. . . Fri. and Sat.), and FREE parking (which is a rarity in SF).

I like Lombard because it is actually the 101 and is a great artery for heading north or down into the city proper . . . .

FYI:

www.franciscobayinn.com

www.SFredwoodinn.com

San Francisco
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!! We are staying 1 night and have NO CLUE!!

You may want to check out the Marina area. It's sometimes criticized for being a bit too yuppie, but you can walk to Chrissy Field which is along the Bay with amazing views of the GG Bridge, and there are lots of bars and restaurants around there. I personally like A16 and Isa (restaurants) but there are certainly plenty to choose from. For bars the Mauna Loa is a pretty popular place.

Definitely wouldn't stay in Union Square - it's just tourists and department store shopping.

Reply if you'd like more info or if this doesn't sound what you're looking for and I'll think of some other options.

Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,842 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
California
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!! We are staying 1 night and have NO CLUE!!

Consider MarinaMotel.com

you can walk to the Palace of Fine Arts, the Exploratorium Museum, the Presidio National Park, the Marina Yacht Harbor, and Fort Mason and along the beach to the Golden Gate Bridge.

Mentioned in this post
Exploratorium
Exploratorium
3,030 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Bridge
41,993 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,976 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!! We are staying 1 night and have NO CLUE!!

Perhaps you are thinking of the viewing tower at the De Young Museum, which is located in Golden Gate Park. It's about 140' high and has a panoramic view of much of the City, including the Golden Gate Bridge.

I think visitors who don't have time for the museum can go up in the tower without paying for museum admission.

Mentioned in this post
de Young Museum
de Young Museum
1,871 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Park
8,401 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Bridge
41,993 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
7. Re: Help!! We are staying 1 night and have NO CLUE!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2006, 19:47
8. Re: Help!! We are staying 1 night and have NO CLUE!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 03:17